TN: 1999 Shafer Hillside Select

Upon opening this wine, the nose seemed dominated by oak. As it had a chance to breathe, the fruit and spice came out and the wine nicely integrated itself. The wine has that characteristic HSS nose of what I call purple fruit. hard for me to describe, but when I smell it, I know I am in HSS territory. Surprisingly, for a ten year old wine, the color is still very dark. The palate is well balanced and still tannic with a nice aftertaste. The fruit is not the powerful presence that it was a few years ago. Whiel the wine is still excellent, for my palate, I am discovering that I typically like this wine before the age of 8 years old. 93 points today (it was a 96 pointer a few years ago), and for me, I would drink up whatever stock I have.

It’s hard to picture Shafer not built to last.

I am not saying that it is not built to last, only that I do prefer its profile when it is younger. it does evolve, and I like the younger version better. This was also not really an aging vintage as well in general it should also be pointed out. IMO most 99’s were best when they were very young.

I had the same experience with this wine last year at labor day. Tasted single blind with several comperable wines, the 99 Shafer was somewhat meek.

Thanks for the note. The one I had back in January was stellar and it has a long way to go for my taste. If I had to rank the 99 against the recent HSS, I would go 01, 99, 02, 04, 03, 00.

[cheers.gif]