TN: A couple of Geyersvilles

2005 Ridge Geyserville, 77% Zinfandel, 17% Carignane, 6% Petite Sirah, 14.6% alc.
In response to the “Whatcha drinking this weekend?” thread I wrote about the 05: “…this stuff rocks! Roast duck breasts with ligonberry sauce and polenta cakes with morels and shittakes. Sitting on the deck surrounded by flowers in a 70 degree breeze. Life is good.”

More specifically, this stuff really rocks! Beautiful berry nose that shows the high Z percentage and some nice American oak in the background. Rich, medium bodied, tannins resolved, blackberry with nice spices: fennel, a drop of clove. Some of the earthy Rhone tones I usually find in Geyser but more of the Zin flavors in this batch. Just yummy stuff.

2007 Ridge Geyserville, 58% Zinfandel, 22% Carignane, 18% Petite Sirah, 2% Mataro
Unsurprisingly very primary. Gushing fruit with a healthy dose of tannin. Berry, berry, berry, but the black earthier fruit makes itself quite clear. I won’t touch another bottle for a year (and we bought a bunch of bottles!) While I have trouble judging this youngster, I’ll take Ridge’s word on this. They think it a match for the 91 and suggest a 10-12 year time frame, well past the conservative windows they normally describe.

Geezer remains my desert island wine. [cheers.gif]