1963 Ports, Flannary Beef and Pork

The crew gathered last night at Ed and Joan Murray’s beautiful house on Lake Sammamish. Steve and Mrs Saxon, Me and Carey, and Claire Gordon. One of the best nights I’ve had in a very long time.

The wines absolutely rocked, the food was incredible and the company was second-to-none.

Every wine absolutely lived up to the hype except the Droin (which I brought, it sucked)

2005 Gérard Boulay Sancerre Les Monts Damnés
2001 Rapet Père et Fils Corton-Charlemagne
1996 Krug (was enjoyed by all during the Joan Murray Krug Boat Cruise)
1996 Jean-Paul & Benoit Droin Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos
1999 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle
1974 Mayacamas
1974 Freemark Abbey Bosche
1975 Chappellet Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
1991 Chateau Montelena
1963 Taylor
1963 Noval Nacional
1963 Warres

The Taylor and Nacional were absolute breathtaking. I can’t imagine Port being any better than the Taylor, still a powerful beast.

Paula’s pear tart and mushroom lasagna stole the show again. They somehow managed to outshine the Flannary Hangers and Pork Ribcap.

Awesome night!

Hey Phil, thanks for posting!

The Boulay Sancerre was a fantastic example of what Sancerre should be. Just enough grapefruit & acid for a warm sunny day.

That Corton Charlemagne really hit the spot. The nose was incredible, I got bacon and butterscotch - how cool is that! The texture was perfect, chewy yet light at the same time. It really started opening up later in the evening - I’d love to taste that one again in 10 years.

The Krug was well… Krug. Elegant and creamy on the attack while the powerful acidic backbone shone through on the finish.

The Chablis was um… weird.

Good call on the Rhone with the pork ribcaps! Looks like the '99 La Chapelle is starting to open a little. While it had a little of the typical Hermitage funk immediately upon opening, it really came alive after an hour or so. Anyone out there who has these, I’d wait another 5 years, (unless you’re curious 'cause it’s actually pretty good now.)

'74 Mayacamas - Stellar example of an old Cali. cab. I couldn’t believe how dark it was!
Ditto on the '75 Chappellet!

The '91 Montelena showed really well and was typical for the wine. (At least it was similar to the 2 previous I’ve had.)

The Freemark Abbey would probably have been great on any other night but on this night the other Cali. cab’s towered over it. It was comparatively light and a bit thin.

The power of the Taylor was stupefying! I was amazed - that wine will live 'till eternity. I give it the nod over the Nacional. While I thought the Nacional was more elegant and seamless, I couldn’t get the punch of the Taylor out of my head. The Warres was also excellent but slightly below the Nacional and the Taylors. I’ll be finishing that off this week! :smiley:

Great fun!

Great notes Ed, you should post more often.

You really know how to throw a party, from the Krug boat ride to the fantastic ports. A+++ to you and Joan.

Phil, I keep telling you, I MADE THE LASAGNA!

Oh, BTW, the Mayacamas and Taylor are candidates for my WOTY.

You told me you were the Prep Cook! [big_boss.gif]

That tart looks beautiful…well done boys.

You tell me Ed, I did all the work and I put it all together…Paula read the directions and gave a little advice. [berserker.gif]

That’s what the Head Chef always does! Who procured the shrooms?

You know, you remind me of Phil. [berserker.gif]

Why thank you! I take that as the highest possible compliment!

Now: Who made the tart! [diablo.gif]

If you folks ever need a lackey to pour and empty rinse buckets, please let me know.

God. [tease.gif]

Okay Father, you done good on the shroomsagna! [notworthy.gif]

Hey,
If you’re ever in town give us a ring! (No rinsing required.) :slight_smile:

Oh man, I hate to have missed this… Looks great.

I’m sure you had a better time without us.

Thee question is did you have a better time without him?

Did I have a better time without him?..No.

But to be honest, I was having such a great time I wonder if it would have been better with him…

Just kidding… [blush2.gif]

Would have been good to have you there, Steve. One of these days, you’ll have to come over.

The cook out was pretty good, although the only “Champagne” I had was the “Champagne of Beers.” But I did make some pretty tasty ribs in the smoker.

Wow, looked like a great time. Some very nice wines and Ports were had. The 63 Nacional is a monster of a Port, still so young and powerful. It is one for the legend book for sure. Taylors is no slouch either and good to see it held it’s own or bested the Nacional, which is no small task.

Actually the monstor was the Taylor. Still incredibly powerful while the Nacional was sleek, smooth and resolved. Both were absolutely lovely.