few TN from MetroVino

Stumbled upon a cool wine bar in downtown Portland with a built in slide card wine system.
Among several wines offered were 07’ Insignia, 08’ Beaux Freres, 06’ Bouchard Corton to name a few.
We started with the 08’ Pichler GV, ‘M’-
Starbright notes with a somewhat muted nose of tropical fruits and oak, palate was a bit flat with great minerality at the end, this wine has a long way to go.

07’ Pernot Batard Montrachet-
Young oak dominated nose with ripe fruit, vanilla and slate, finished with spice, baked red apple and dust. Would like to see this in 5-6 years.

05’ Bouchard ‘Mousse’-
Beautiful ruby core that ads tremendous baking spice notes, vivid, balanced with red cherry, baking spice and a hint of vanilla. Nice wine that should show well in 3-4 years.

06’ Bouchard Corton-
Viscous, with great aromatics flowing from the glass, white flowers, dark cherry, spice, smoke, meat and game, finish was long and persistent. Needs 10 years plus.

08’ Beaux Freres -
Bright with solid black fruits, vanilla, oak and baking spice, clearly young with a ripe fruit entrance finishing balanced and fat. I don’t see the difference in winemaking style that people have been talking about, this reminds me of every other young BF I have had.

09’ Ken Wright WV-
First time KW has made a non vineyard wine in a while, since 97’. Pretty purple with a nasty pickle, mustard note that kept creeping in on the wine, pretty raspberry, cherry notes lead to a mellow fruit attack. The palate was balanced, great mouthfeel with oak spice, I just couldn’t get away from the pickle.

08’ Cristom Syrah-
I knew they have been making this wine for several years but never bothered to try it. I was pleasantly surprised. Dark cherry color with a cracked pepper, game, meat nose. Compact on the palate with bacon fat and blackberry, clipped finish. I could see this being mistaken for Croze-Hermitage.

The menu looked great and prices seemed to be reasonable. Will be back.

Jb

MetroVino is definitely a nice spot, they do a killer job on the food (don’t miss the roman tripe stew) and they always have something of interest to sip on. The prices for wine tend to be at my upper limit of what I like to spend, but its nice to be able to try some higher end bottles by the glass (or if you are really strapped, by the “taste”).

If you enjoyed the Cristom Syrah, check out the recent release from Matello ('08 Fools Journey, 73% Syrah/17% Viognier). Todd Hamina’s (Biggio-Hamina) Syrah is also very tasty, which reminds me, I need to track a few bottles down.

Thanks Mark, do you know the prices on these wines in PDX?
TIA,

Jb

Looks like the Matello can be had at vinopolis for $25. As for the Biggio-Hamina, its possible Todd has not released it yet as I can’t find any info on it yet.

Actually…in 2005 Ken Wright had a late release wine he titled “Angela”. This wine was a blend of fruit from Yamhill-Carlton. I think it was a blend of Savoya and Abbot Claim Vineyards.

I believe the Angela is a separate label from Ken Wright (but Ken Wright is the winemaker for Angela).

Edit: Just found a write-up of the '05 Ken Wright “Angela”. You are correct, it is a Ken Wright wine and is a blend of Savoya and Abbot Claim.

There is a label now called Angela that Ken supposedly consults on, but in the 2005 vintage, he produced a wine that was labeled as Ken Wright Cellars “Angela”. Same label as his other wines, instead of it reading a vineyard designate, it said Angela.

True, I own some. What I should have said is that this is his first declassified bottling of a WV blend. The Angela was a one off and Ken says that he will (more than likely) never make a blend again.

Jb

The XIV is $25, and like my Riesling from Amity vineyard (planted in 1974) is winery only. So far.

So many wines I would want to try… if I lived in Portland I would be going there a lot.