TN: 2005 Lucia Syrah Susan's Hill = Love

• 2005 Lucia Syrah Susan’s Hill - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (5/16/2009)
    What an amazing bottle of Syrah. It has all the things I want in an American Syrah plus a whole lot more. Its purity is insane. The color is ultra brooding blood red. The nose is all steamed meats, cooked bacon and crush pebbles with violets, blackberries, black cherry cola and love. The palate reveals an amazing interweaved balance of black fruits with finely weaved tannins and a perfect acid level. The camphor is in the house with a smooth and plushy moutfeel. Some black pepper, boysenberries, pomegranate, blueberry pie, and leather. The finish is insane. I cornered the market in these and it’s time I do it again. Love has arrived…again. (95 pts.)

Pisoni is a GENIUS!

I concur, great bottle of wine!!!

Ahh, serendipity. Mike, I saw your TN this evening in CT and wondered…“man, who is mikep”? I read the tasting note to my wife, too. So, you like the 2005, huh? Good stuff, ain’t it. And yet, we still have syrahs being discussed at 2X the price that IMO the Lucia competes with quite well.

if you look at wine searcher, there is still 2005 hanging around for less than 40 bucks, mainly east coast.

Mike, I will gaurd my last three bottles, and I appreciate your TN, pal.

Great notes Mike,
Kimberly and I just shared a bottle of the 06 with Wetrocker down in Paso, and he commented on the 05’s superiority. I’m a big fan of the style. Looking forward to trying this one.

John, Not quite sure if the '06 will ‘break’. Its very different than the 05 for sure. All my 05 notes have been consistent. The 04 was great as well, just not at the same level.
Last nights bottle drank like pure joy. It was so easy going own we had to slow ourselves down a bit. (Served with deep fried panko fried soft shell crabs served atop simple buttery fluffy white rice).

Thanks for the note Mike. Susan’s Hill is putting out some tremendous fruit and the Pisoni’s are doing great work with it. I’m hoping the 06’s are like a lot of the Cali Pinots and just need some time to relax and even out. My 05’s will sleep a couple more years as this vintage seemed dense and wrapped up to me some. The 04’s are in a GREAT place right now. Great complexity on the nose.

Alas, I raced through my 04s, all 12 of them, well 11.
1 is saved for my Lucia Susans vertical :slight_smile:

As to the point Cris made, I can offer from my perspective that the 2004 Lucia Susan’s Hill is in my early running for my syrah WOTY. The 2005 will probably beat it down the road but for the way the 2004 tastes now, and it will still improve IMO, it’s as Cris indicates and is tremendous. In contrast, to the points above, agree about the 2006, in that it will need time. The Garys’ right now is far out ahead of it.