Chicago Wine Shop recs/opinions

I moved to Chicago from Los Angeles about a year ago and have been traveling for a large part of the year so Im still exploring the city. Im just curious as to what some of the preferred wine shops amongst the Chicago berserkers out there? Any suggestions?

Are you in the city itself, or a suburb?

(Enjoying the weather?)

Knightsbridge Wine Shop in Northbrook is top notch. Excellent for Burgs. Binny’s is a very large chain with stores throughout the Chicago area with a big selection of wines. They have some very good people working in some of their stores.

Im in the South Loop. Binny’s is excellent but I also like to support smaller businesses and I love wine shops. I dont mind driving for an excellent selection of Burgs.
Its miserably cold here, lets see if this storm is really what the media says it will be…

I second the Knightsbridge recommendation if you don’t mind driving. Especially if you like Burgundy.

A couple of us from Milwaukee make the occasional road trip down to Knightsbridge for that reason. They get stuff that doesn’t come into Wisconsin.

Howard’s on Belmont between Racine and Southport. Much smaller selections (but he is selective) and you’ll pay a couple of dollars more per bottle. Howard is Burg focused and has very strong opinions on what he likes. Yet you can find older bottles nestled away (in the racks under the displayed bottles) and, although he can be a bit of a curmudgeon (right, Howard?), I like him a lot and like to give business to him. Be careful of the case goods towers in the aisles, or you might end up buying more than you intended.

I will second Howards Wine Cellar. Howard can also get you wines from some of the top producers you won’t find on the shelves.

The Binny’s on Marcey Street (Goose Island/Lincoln Park) that used to be Sam’s is worth a trip. Binny’s prices are only so-so, but this location is unbelievably huge. It’s very fun to walk up and down the aisles here.

Staff is reasonably helpful, but their wine knowledge can be a bit hit or miss.

Wine Discount Center on Elston has very good prices. It looks like a dump, but has a reasonable selection and knowledgeable staff.

It really depends where you are located and what you are looking for. I second the recommendations of Knightsbridge (great selection but usually more expensive than other stores–sometimes by a lot), Binny’s (big-box wine store, fair selection and prices are usually good).

But I also like Just Grapes (Justgrapes.net at 560 West Washington - Usually has some difficult to find wines. Also good for daily drinkers, sales a few times a year and multiple wines available for tasting.)

Grand Cru Wine Merchants in Arlington Heights also has a good selection and knowledgeable owner and particularly good high end selection in the Reserve Room. For instance, I think they had some Lewelling Wights the last time I was there.

Also, don’t forget the virtual stores such Flickinger (Flickingerwines.com). You can order from Flick and pick up in their South Chicago warehouse or Northfield administrative offices.

By far the best palate throughout the Binnys chain, is Jeff Czischki at the Lakeview store. His expertise is worth seeking out.

Flick moved the admin. office to 1222 Washington Court #201, Wilmette, IL 60093 (near the Metra Station)

Wine Discount Center, Binny’s Lakeview, Howard’s are my most regular stops

Howard is the man. His shop is cramped but he has all kinds of gems. Good place to find some wines with age on them. The guy has a great palate and loves his Burgs. Check it out. Also, sign up for his mailing list. He has good free tastings from time to time.

Echo all the praise for Howard’s Wine Cellar. Great guy, fantastic place with an amazing selection (especially if you’re into things from Burgundy, German or the Loire).

I’ll second many of the places listed above, but one place that hasn’t been mentioned yet is the retail arm of Hart Davis Hart. It’s also a virtual shop a la Flickinger, selling mostly consignments, and you can often find older Bordeaux, Burgs, CA, and a whole lot else there too.

Thanks for the recommendations. Im open to all regions and varietals so long as the wine is well-made so its not necessarily a Burgundy quest that im on (though i do love Burgundy) Lately, I definitely lean towards Spain for reds and France or Germany for whites though that can change at any moment, which is why I always like to visit new shops.

Angel at the Binny’s on Marcy Street (old Sam’s) is a good resource for Spanish wine assistance.

I have never even been to Chicago [except maybe to change planes in the airport?], but somehow* I got on the WDC email list, and they have some crazy good deals from time to time.

[*Probably because of something they were doing with German and/or Austrian wines.]

Howard loves his German wines. I have gotten really into older Germans and he always has something interesting for me to try and some knowledge to impart.

If you want to have some fun bring a bottle with you, bagged, to Knightsbridge on Saturday around noon. Typically you can find 3-10 fellow wine lovers playing ‘guess the wine’. Great time. Good fun and you’re as likely to taste a gem as you are a $20.00 QPR selection.

If you want. PM me and we can get some fellow WB’s to meet you and introduce you to some of the local crew.