TN: 1971 Joseph Voillot Volnay Fremiets

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

TN: 1971 Joseph Voillot Volnay Fremiets

#1 Post by alan weinberg »

light in color and body, the wine has a very pretty nose and palate, ripe layered red fruits and lots of cherries, a long clean finish and good acidity. While it won't get any better, it'll stay a long time at this level. There's a slightly sour twang on the finish that I expect will disappear in a few minutes; this note is written shortly after opening the bottle and the wine hasn't evolved yet. The wine is elegant and a bit austere yet quite pretty and quite enjoyable. I liked the 79 a bit better, also opened recently--the mouthfeel was silkier and the fruit a bit crisper. The wine isn't making me "chortle with mirth" à la David S, though I did smile widely for a moment. But, nahh, who am I kidding, Burgundy doesn't age.

alan

Jeremy Holmes
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 1971 Joseph Voillot Volnay Fremiets

#2 Post by Jeremy Holmes »

Alan, would the bottle have been re-conditioned at the Domaine? I recently had a 1980 Champans that was and as tasty as it was I would love to have seen a bottle that had not been topped up.
ITB

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by alan weinberg »

Jeremy Holmes wrote:Alan, would the bottle have been re-conditioned at the Domaine? I recently had a 1980 Champans that was and as tasty as it was I would love to have seen a bottle that had not been topped up.
though not represented as such when sold, the fill was so high and the cork so young that it must have been reconditioned--hopefully with the same wine. I would prefer an original bottle with a wizened old cork. Hopefully, though, when I'm old and decrepit, I can also be reconditioned into such a fine specimen as this . . .
alan

billnanson

#4 Post by billnanson »

An absolute baby by comparison - I'm loving Voillot's 93 Meursault Cras right now; iodine, taught muscle, lovely acidity - far from a stereotypical Meursault with vanilla...
Burgundy Report - online since 2002...

Jerry Hey

#5 Post by Jerry Hey »

I had one of these over the holidays and it was a lighter styled wine but still with plenty of nice older Burg character. I didn't even think about it being reconditioned but now that you mentioned it, the bottle was pristine - very full fill with almost no sediment. But for what the price tag was on these, I think it was a good buy.

Andre M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Andre M »

Has anyone tasted this wine recently?
A M u l y o n o
CT: IndoWino

Return to “Wine Talk”