Hospice du Rhône tasting notes

Here’s a link to my tasting notes from Hospice du Rhône, on Grape-Nutz.com:
Hospice du Rhône tasting notes

It was great to see so many WB’ers at HdR, both old friends and new ones - already looking forward to next year!

Wow Ken, you really got around and kept clear notes, I am impressed! Next year I need to get around and taste more. [cheers.gif]

Thanks for all the notes, Ken.

Wind Gap is the new label from winemaker Pax Mahle, and the wines are much in the style of his earlier efforts.

I found this comment quite interesting. The promotional material I had received from Wind Gap gave me the impression that they were going for a quite a different style. I rather liked the Pax wines, so this is good news to me.

Someone else had pointed that out to me as well, though I haven’t read that promo material myself. I do think the new wines will be less ripe and lower alcohol than most of his earlier wines (I’m certain that must be true of the Sonoma Coast Syrah I tasted), but the wines still had a lot of flavor along with that familiar whole-cluster character. That’s what led me to make that comment - that character gave me the impression of more similarity than obvious difference. But that’s also based on tasting only two of the new Wind Gap wines - I’m hoping to visit Pax and taste more of his new wines sometime in the next couple of months so hopefully I’ll have a better sense of the style after that. I suspect if you were a fan of his old wines, you’ll like his new ones too.

Hi, Ken.

As you know, I’ve not been able to make it back for HdR (even just for Augie’s annual pinot noir dinner) since we met briefly at said pre-HdR dinner in 2006. I believe, however, that, as early as now, I have been able to schedule things to enable me to be there at the next.

Looking forward to it. Great notes, by the way.

Best,

N

Noel, that’s great news that you’ll be able to make it to HdR next year! I enjoyed meeting you at Augie’s dinner there a few years ago - wish we’d had more time to talk then. The wines you brought were memorable! Take care, and looking forward to seeing you again next year.

Great notes Ken! It was nice to finally meet you.

Yes, it would be great if you could come again, Noel.

-Al