Dropped a '78 Latour last night....

What’s the best bottle you ever accidentally “opened”?

Two bottles of 1982 Altare Barolo Arborina in one shot! Smelled great for days!

Sorry about your loss.

86 HOG. Another bottle fell on it, cracked the bottle and I drank half of it from the styrofoam it was in.

Ill drop a maybach in your honor :wink:

I can only say it didn’t smell like it was at the end of its drinking window…

1 bottle Cerretto Barolo Brunate, 1989. Waaaa…dc.

No Nebbiolo,but…1990 Haut Brion and 1990 Tertre Roteboeuf fell together and made a most interesting blend…

This thread makes me very sad.

My worst is not comparable (thankfully) to many of the above, but is greater in magnitude. 8 bottles of 03 Gruaud Larose in one shot. Someone negleted to close the case properly and when I picked it up the side fell off with the bottles cascading immediately after…

Quintarelli Alzero - Cant remember the vintage…was young(er)

Also, I’ve accidentally mixed 1989 Bonneau CDP Celestins and 05 Maybach :slight_smile:

Many years ago, a really good Meursault – don’t recall the year (but it would have been < 1971) or kind. The pantry had a wonderful smell for a while!

Michael,

I feel your pain, especially at the prices they want for Alzero nowadays. FWIW, the 91 is still one of the greatest bottles of wine ever made on the planet, IMHO. dc.

Worst I’ve done is open a similar bottle by accident. We planned a dinner one night and had a bottle of Kosta-Browne Syrah picked-out. Sat down, poured a glass, and was just not right. Looked at the bottle, and was KB Pinot. Was a great bottle, but not what I planned.

Closest I’ve ever come (interesting little story):

I was brokedick backpacking throughout Europe a few years ago and stumbled into a rather antique wine shop in Rome. On the shelves, I see a bottle of 85 Sassicaia sitting a few feet above my head. My curiosity implores me and I reach to pick up the wine from its neck, grasping the capsule. As I remove it from the rack, the bottle slips out of the capsule and begins a freefall towards the floor.

As I look at the bottle falling, I’m thinking “huh, I don’t exactly have 1000 euros sitting around in my pocket, things could get dicey for this American lout.” Endulating between thoughts of misfortune and a potential escape like a gypsy cutpurse, I instinctually try to cushion the blow of the bottle with my foot as any foreigner might do but to no avail; the bottle bonces off my loafer and the neck smashes into the ground shattering into millions of pieces.

Lucky for me, the bottle was empty, hence why the cut capsule which was loose on the neck allowed the bottle to slip [thumbs-up.gif] . The senile shopkeep muttered a few things in Italian, brought out a broom and swept up the shards as I apologized in my restaurant-dialect Italian.

In hindsight, I feel proud that the Cosa Nostra couldn’t get their hands on the bottle and fill it with some plonky Sardinian wine to dupe the status drinker. Deed well done [welldone.gif]!

NIce story, Faryan!

Dropped a SQN JFTLOI on concrete sidewalk and it did not break. Not so lucky for an 05 Spotteswoode Cab on my driveway bringing it home from the store.

I dropped a 1998 Petrus, four years ago. Fortunately, the only damage was a divot in my wood floor.

I was 18 years old and had convinced a friend’s older sister to buy us a handle of Jack daniels. I paid her and was walking to the car when i dropped it and it shattered. We still managed to get drunk that night though.

My son dropped a mag of 2005 La Vieux Donjon on the tiled cellar floor. It smelled wonderful. I dropped a six pack in an airport that I would rather not talk about. Not all died that day, only 3 but due to the rarity of the bottles, is still too painful to talk about.

Trent, I am not a shrink, but why did you bring that up if you DIDN’t want to talk about it?? Let’s hear it.

Someone I know left a 6 pack of mixed Quintarelli Amarones and Alzeros bought at the winery in the airport outside Milan. The Army guards were undoubtably surprised when they found them. dc.