TN: 04 Fichet "Les Chevalieres", 05 Produttori Barbaresco w/

04 FICHET “LES CHEVALIERES”, 05 PRODUTTORI BARBARESCO W/ LORI MCLAUGHLIN - Zinnia Restaurant SF (5/14/2009)

Lori McLaughlin was in town and as always, we were happy to join her for dinner to talk wine, Dallas, travel and food!!! Can’t wait to see the new place in South Carolina!!! Food was very good but a little distressing to see a restaurant over 1/2 empty on a Thursday evening in SF.

2006 Cantina di Santadi Vermentino di Sardegna Villa Solais - Italy, Sardinia, Vermentino di Sardegna

Ordered off the list to start. Very pleasant Vermentino. Lots of beeswax, spice, nutty fruit with some honey and citrus fruit. Decent finish and acidity. Enjoyable way to greet the evening. (87 pts.)

2004 Jean-Philippe Fichet Meursault Les Chevalières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault

For me this accompanied a pea and mint risotto with meyer lemon peel shavings. The combination was fantastic. The wine itself it pretty intense and powerfully packed…almost a little bit too much. Loaded with meyer lemon, some honey, roasted hazelnut and a touch of mint and white peaches. Sharp acidity, dense and the meyer lemon/citrus attacks the palate…if this settles in a little I think it will easily be a 93-94 pter for me. (91 pts.)

2005 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco

This accompanied a hangar steak with green peppercorn sauce and Kennebeck fries. Steak was seasoned and sauced perfectly. The fries very good.

The wine was very tight upon opening…showing lots of coffee, dark cocoa powder and a little dark fruit. About 20 minutes in and some swirling it began to shed that coffee note and show bright cherries, a little floral note, a hint of cocoa and crunch acidity. medium length finish and nice complexity. A lovely Barbaresco. (90 pts.)