Wife's 40th, need help with recommendations from 1971

I’ve heard that burgundy and champagne are the right places to go, but my wife is not quite the wine drinker that I am and rather than being happy that I dropped $4000 for a bottle of Vogue Musigny, she’d probably kill me…

Any suggestions for a $200-$300 btl that has a high likelihood of being sound? A sweet wine could go well with cake… Don’t know much (really anything) about the Germans, but it appears there may be some good rieslings? What about sauternes? Thoughts and sources are very much appreciated.

'71 Climens should be under $300 and it is very good.

1971 is an outstanding year in Germany.

You simply can not go wrong with a good producer with Auslese (and maybe Spatlese) and up.

Try Dee Vine or Crush.

If your wife is a casual wine drinker, definitely go for a well stored German Auslese or sweeter. I doubt she would like Sauternes as well.

1971 Barolo should be a fine drink … if you can find a well stored bottle.
This looks like a potential winner … had good luck with this vendor and producer from this vintage - no affiliation …
1971 Ceretto Barolo Brunate Vigneto Zonchetta - $190.50
http://www.aabalat.com/stores/item.cfm/storeID/143/lotID/14439718.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can locate a 1971 Ridge Eisele, that is a phenomenal wine. I am opening a 1971 Chappellet in a couple of weeks for a friend’s 40th, but I have not had this wine. I sourced it (and the bottle is pristine - from a single owner) based on recommendation.

Really appreciate the responses here. I’ve posted a WTB in commerce corner for 71 Climens, hope to find a bottle or two there. Will reach out to Dee Vine wines on the Germans next week, have bought a couple of bottles of burgs from them in the past.

Will research a bit on the 71 Italians, seems like there might be a couple of good ones.

No luck on the Eisele and I need these within 10 days or so, so I’m cutting it a bit close…

Again, thanks for the responses. Still open for more as I am banking on celebrating a few more birthdays with my wife…

I would second the Barolo recommendation. Two years I ago I have the 1971 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Riserva and it was fantastic. Don’t know the price of this one however.

Brodie

1971 Latour is drinking great.

I find myself turning 40 as well in about 25 days… Where would one source a decent 71 red around these parts?

A well-stored 71 Penfolds Grange will trump just about every other red wine on earth of that vintage, but will be fairly costly (>$750)…
GG

The 1971 Chappellet (also my birthyear) was fantastic when I had my last one a few years ago. A wine that exceeded expectations.

More generally, I strongly recommend 1971 Barolo from good producers. Every single one I’ve had was at least very good (and a fine alternative to blowing the bank on 1971 red Burgundy…also very nice though if you have the cash).

As others have said, lots of excellent sweet wine options, including Sauternes and German rieslings. Another is 1971 Moulin Touchais, which is really good in this vintage and not insanely priced.

In Bordeaux, Pomerol is the best bet - 1971 Trotanoy is a legend. But these won’t be cheap or particularly easy to find.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Blair

Has anyone dealt with this store? I am tempted to try one of these. The Zonchetta vineyard is generally used as the base for their Zonchera Barolo, which is a non-single-vineyard 2nd wine. I’ve never seen a separate bottling of just the Zonchetta.

Has anyone tried it?

Bought from them many times - nose running cold warehouse … many good bottles from them have graced SF Bay Area offlines. Their prices aren’t always the greatest but that’s the only knock I can ding them with.

Thanks for the info, Blair. This bottle is so gorgeous - still wrapped in its original tissue and in every way pristine. It should be fun. Wish I were 40…

There is a place in Richmond, California called the European Wine Resource (never dealt with them before, just searched the specific wine on Wine Searcher) that has two bottles of the 1971 Castell’ In Villa Chianti Classico Riserva. I can’t speak to their storage or provenance, but I can tell you that if these are well-stored bottles from a reputable retailer, that is one hell of a bottle of wine.

Gee whiz, the 1971s rieslings are expensive [u]at Dee Vine[/u].

Yikes!

1971 was a great vintage in Chianti, and I agree with you Bob, the Castell’In Villa is excellent (although it has been a while since I had mine). A well stored Monsanto “Il Poggio” or Badia a Coltibuono might be worth a shot.

It floors me sometimes how helpful people are on this board. So cool. [cheers.gif]

Have seen some 1971 PX sherries around that are not terribly expensive, even reasonable in some cases.Can buy an extra bottle or two to save for the 50th…