UFC night - Troplong, Pavie Mac, Trivium, Kuleto etc

Did you actually cook the Porterhouse at all, or just sear it?

Great lineup, that’s for sure!

Those porterhouses look absolutely drool worthy.

01 Pavie Macquin - little brother to the Pavie…was really enjoyable, not sophisticated, probably more a function of being popped and poured and not decanted like the rest

I believe I’ve tried this vintage (will have to check my notes to be sure), but, from my experiences with Pavie-Macquin, your assessment sounds, to me, already very accurate. The wines I’ve had from them have left me with the impression that they are pleasing enough, but not what I would call sophisticated.

Philip…steaks look great (as usual) I’m am becoming a fan of the Landreth cut. I nice selection of wines also.

i was @ MGM Grand Garden Saturday night. Lyoto Machida was really impressive.

I am very envious of you. I waited to watch it on TV here in Manila - because of the time difference, I (and my 2nd son who also follows the UFC) wound up very late for my regular Sunday lunch at my in-laws’. My wife was not pleased at all.

Still, it was well worth it. I had expected, though, that BJ Penn would have put on a better showing. That said, GSP is, of course, always an awesome fighter.

Philip…anything happening UFC wise over FF#2? Talk about one hell of a night.

Thank you, P. I am happy you enjoy reading my drivel.

The recent Pavies I’ve tried are all, ideed, very massive, super ripe, extracted and forwardly expressive - notably moreso than Pavie-Macquin, I definitely agree.

i also expected BJ to produce a better showing. he was the only losing fighter i bet on besides Kim, who i thought was on the bad side of a 29-28 split decision.

like you i think GSP is incredible. there is post-fight controversy about one of GSP’s cornermen and Vasoline being applied to Rush’s body between rounds. stay tuned.

Whoa. I wasn’t at all aware of that controversy. Will await further news.

Prep for the porterhouse:

Allow to come to room temp over 2 hours.

Seasoned (heavily) with hickory smoked salt and a homemade steak rub. Sprayed with Pam.

Tossed it on to the grill running at full blast. Three minutes on side one, rotate 90 degrees and three minutes more. Flip and repeat. Once we got good color, I propped the steak up on the bone and roasted with indirect heat for about 30 minutes total, rotating 180 degrees every five minutes.

The Troplong was rocking indeed. The more '03 BDX that I drink, the more I love the wines.

The Pavie Mac was a good bottle, but once you have the big brother, it is hard to accept anything less.

Kuleto is such the QPR steal…thanks Pobega for turning me onto this.

Philip, I think you forgot the Auguest West Pinot that we had.

Thanks again for hosting.

Yeah, '03 BDX is probably a pretty decent value for a bottle that is drinking well right now, and won’t cellar for very long.

Although I wasn’t planning on opening an 03 Troplong for another 10+ years, I just may temporarily abandon my plan and crack one for “heart” day with the wifey along with calong-segur. Would you say 8 hours in the decanter is enough or more?

Thanks in advance,

I tasted the wine the minute that I hit the door and it was showing well right then…so 8 hours seems about right.

Great notes on what seemed to be a wonderful night of dead cow and stomped on grapes.

Bill, you’re welcome. :ugeek:

Amazing!!

Who still uses Sprint? [big_boss.gif]

Was the steak on call?

Stick around, I got a million of them… [dance2.gif]

I do…three year old phone.

Man, you do this thing right. Golf in the afternoon, then wine tasting in the evening + UFC…we are very much on the same frequency.

true that

yeah…it’s been a fridgid 70 deg here for a couple of days now…no clouds, no wind, just [d_sunny.gif] …burrr