Lunch in T-Town - Phelps Eisele Vert and Pork Ribcap

Lunch today with Father Saxon and our buddy Don.

Flannary Hangers and the now infamous Pork Ribcap.

Theme…Phelps Eisele Cabs from the 80’s. We opened the 1981, 1982, 1986, and 1987. To start we opened a bottle of 2006 Rockledge Vineyards Rousanne Saralee’s Vineyard. Here’s the damage:

Oh yeah, we also cracked some Eagle Rare 10 year old Bourbon to finish it off.

This is total justification for our complete FAIL lunch last time at Father Saxon’s. We need some redemption.

Cheers,

Notes on the wines? Anyone??

That’s a good dose of wine for you three strappin’ young lads!

They’re probably sleeping it off! [drinkers.gif]

I have to say, all four of the Phelps were completely different. The 1981 was gorgeous upon opening; soft, supple, pure Cabernet, nowhere near dead, lovely. The 1982 was slightly bigger with more fruit, more tannin and slightly more complex. The 1986 was still young, tons of tannin and major complexity. Probably the best potential of the bunch but right now just a notch below the 1987. The 1987 was open and beautiful from the pull of the cork. Volupotous and open like many of the current 1987’s.

We need to find some mags of each of these wines.

By the way, this lunch was done because we had our tails between our legs from the Zachy’s auction. We FAILED miserably on our carefully chosen lots of Burgundy and Bordeaux. I’m currently sufficiently liquored up and feeling just about right to get over it. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

My absolute favorite!

You guys kill me.

Just a great lunch, the pork was fabulous, the hanger as always is great and the wines were wonderful. I would list the 87 as my favorite, followed by the 86, 82 and 81…but even the 81 was drinking very well.

Like I said…that Flannery pork was killer.

Whoops! Totally forgot about that auction! Skunked eh? Bummer!

With all the burgs out there to be had, Phil failed miserably…I didn’t do a whole lot better, the only thing I picked up was a 3 bottle mag lot of David Arthur 1147 for $500. I thought prices in general were rather high.

There were no real deals to be honest. I just couldn’t pull the trigger and justify the pricing vs. retail.