TN: 2007 Kirkland Signature (Costco) CDP Cuvee Nalys

This showed up yesterday at Costco for $19.99 a bottle. Had to try one based on all the hoopla concerning the '07 Rhone vintage.

Gave it three hours of air in a wide bottom captain’s decanter. Nose was immediately open with no traditional barn yard funk or ass smell. Very pure cherry that jumped from the decanter. Still opaque purple in color…but hey it’s a freakin’ baby. On the palate, the wine is very fruit driven with cherries and blackberries with just a touch of smokiness. The wine doesn’t have the roasted meat, tar and earthy notes that the top cuvees have, but the wine is not lacking for it. No noticable heat, oak or excessive tannin. A really nice drink for the middle of the week.

I suspect that since this cuvee is produced for Costco, it was made in an easily accessible fashion for early consumption…a world beater it isn’t, but a damn fine $20 bottle of wine that gives a glimpse of what the vintage will offer.

Bill, would you say this is a good CdP for a newbie. I;m noticing that most new folks to wine aren’t bug fans of southern rhone due to the funk, etc.

Bottle that I had last night had ZERO funk to it. I really think it was made in a more “American” style for our market over here. Having had probably two dozen really outstanding CdP’s in the past few weeks from as far back as '89, I think I can make that statement with ease.

I for one am a huge fan of the southern rhone. I think they bring serious thunder for the price.
Oh, Bill, I am so happy to see Salma back! [heat.gif]

John, just here to help.

I also had the Costconeuf-du-Pape last night. The 07 is a blend of 60% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 7% Vaccarès and 3% Mouvedre-Muscardin.

• 2007 Kirkland Signature Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée de Nalys - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (5/13/2009)
    Produced for the Costco brand by Domaine du Nalys. Some smoked meats on the nose mixed with ripe fruit and some pepper. Quite fruit forward but also has a little bit of a tannic bite on the finish. Once it came up to room temp, the alcohol started to poke through a bit as well. While this isn’t too bad of a CdP for the $20 price tag, there are several 2007 Cotes du Rhone wines which are better and only $11 - $15 so look there instead. 84-86 (85 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker