What wine do you miss most?

If there was one wine you had in your cellar that you miss the most and wish you still had more of, what would it be?

For me it would be the '71 Huet- Vouvray Demi-Sec, Le Haut-Lieu. Just a stunning wine that has entered a phenomenal drinking plateau the past couple of years and still has decades of life left. I went through my stash way to quickly.

Brad

Gentaz. By far. I have a few bottles left from various vintages. But I know that’s it, unless I get lucky and stumble upon a bottle.

Sure old mature vintages of Rayas 1989, 1985, 1981, 1979 and Pegau 1988, 1985, 1983, 1981 … also 1990 and 1983 Rayas, but here I have a few more …
My stock of above mentioned vintages is down to 1 bottle … and I really hesitate to open them “just so” … waiting for an appropriate opportunity … all are very hard to find at auctions, too (and if for quite an amount) … and in the case of Rayas theres the great danger of fake (no branded corks then!).
[cray.gif]

Mine is a simple wine, but the most influential. I was having some celebratory dinner with my gf-at-the-time at the Peninsula hotel in Beverly Hills and (still being underage at the time) wanted to try some pinot noir that I’d been reading in Red Wine for Dummies. Food was great. Head waiter was old-school perfect. I ordered my first pinot noir, which was a 1998 Domaine Drouhin Willamette Valley. Stupendous. Lots of lights went on after drinking the whole bottle. (Sadly I didn’t yet know my limits and I threw up later [snort.gif] )

I drank another bottle of the same wine a few years later…but it wasn’t the same.

I hope to chase the dragon again with another bottle if I can find one.

High School graduation years wine.

86 or 90 Laurel Glen Estate…

Mid-80’s to mid-90’s Williams Selyem Pinots crafted by Burt… [worship.gif]

89 Beaucastel.

Sheeit, son. I had no idea you graduated high school. [snort.gif]

That would’ve been mine if I didn’t still have some.

All the way through the sixth grade.

I wish I had bought a few more bottles of that Thomas Jefferson wine from Mr. Rhodenstock for that special “friendship price”, man they were good, and so youthful, I could have sworn they were from the 60’s (the 1960’s that is, ha ha). dc

[cheers.gif]

'89 Angelus.

'94 Dehlinger Reserve Pinot

Why oh why didn’t I lay down more '02 Clos Roche Blanche? Or any '97 (the first year I bought them)?

It’s not as though the stuff will ever show up at auction.

2001 Muller-Catoir Haardter Mandelring Scheurebe Spatlese

+1

My first burgundies were Bernard Amiot Chambolles that my parents bought and served at dinner. Would love to go back and taste them now.

Good call. Best Cote-Rotie I’ve ever had and they’re as rare as hen’s teeth these days in the market.

Absolutely. Mine are all gone, but I feel lucky to have had as many as I did. In retrospect, I would trade every other bottle of Cote Rotie I have ever bought for more Gentaz.