2009 Burgundy, What Have You Purchased...

Yep, I’ve been gone for a while. Now back. Life got busy. Anyway, 2009 Burg is about to start (or has just started). ‘Futures’ offered in the US from guys that maybe don’t quite own the wine yet, and the London guys starting the allocations. I’m thinking this could be pretty fun.
So, the vintage? Burghound scores quite good but not quite up to '05 scores. But the commentary makes the wines sound just delicious. I’ve tasted nothing, had no time to either get to the region, or to go to the London tastings. Going to buy based on Burghound, but also just the ‘usual suspects’ and based on what I get offered at what seems like an ok price.
So, for instance, I’m a pretty big Perrot Minot fan, but the ‘new issue’ prices have escalated so dramatically since '02 that I can’t see myself buying too much even after the stellar Burghound comments.
I’m planning to ‘load the boat’ with great producer ‘village level’ wines. Seems that given the weather, these could both represent some value and be really delicious with a huge drinking window.

So, what have I bought to date? It’s very early, not too much yet, but In no particular order…

Clavelier ‘VR, Beaux Monts’
Clavelier ‘CM, La Combe d’Orveau’ (love this wine)
Bize ‘SLB, Vergelesses’
Sauzet ‘PM Folatieres’
Roche de Bellene (Potel) ‘VR, Malconsorts’
Fontaine Gagnard ‘Batard Montrachet’
Le Moine ‘CM, Amoureuses’
Boillot ‘Corton Charlemagne’
Boillot ‘Mers, Perrieres’
Boillot ‘PM, Pucelles’
Boillot ‘Batard Montrachet’

I’ve put in orders for a little more white (some Leflaive), but doubt if I’ll buy any more than this. For red, sky is the limit, based on price of course…

Nothing so far…I think I’ll wait for the 07 and 08 stuff to go on more clearance and buy some of the stuff that are on the bubble of my price range.

'07 and '08 just a different ‘product’ vs. '09. Can find great '09s in all price ranges, just focus on Village level wines from really good producers. I’d rather have '09 Bachelet ‘Gevrey Chambertin VV’ vs say the '08 or '07 1ers from the same producer. Prob same price point, but the '09s sound ‘tastier’. Caveat, I’ve tasted neither, just going on past history.

holy shit! welcome back. where you been, buddy?

Nice list Peter.
Agree on the Bachelet comment - but then… it’s Bachelet!

I’ve yet to buy any 2009’s - I’ll probably wait until they hit the shelves. There are only very few that I want and I’m pretty certain I’ll be able to get them.

Cheers! Good to have you posting again!
[drinkers.gif]

Hey Yaacov/Ed,
You know how it is. You get busy, forget to post for a week or 2. A week becomes a month, becomes a year. I got an email from a board member last week, reminded me to post again! And I’m back…

Peter,

Your list is a bit disappointing!.. I was expecting you to list at least , DRC La Romanee Conti 2 cases, CLB La Romanee 2 cases… Chambertin from Rousseau 3 cases and all the rest… all in all mounting to 45 cases or so

Have you been outbid by a Chinese billionaire? [stirthepothal.gif]

All those wines (DRC, Rousseau) are allocated later in the year. I’ll be long…

Jadot Moose
Jadot Bonnes Mares
Chevillon NSG VV (smokin’ price)
Chevillon Prulliers

I’ll buy the usual suspects later in the year provided prices are acceptable.

Nice! Jadot Moose AND Bonned Mares!

They caught me in a moment of weakness. [help.gif]

Luckily snagged them before the reviews landed. Stoked!

Bouchard, Faiveley, Maison Ilan, Pousse d’Or, Jadot, Raphet, Delarche. Trying to pick off the higher-end bottlings pre-arrival, lower-level bottlings I will taste and buy at leisure. Plus some Beaujolais for the first time ever…

does Beaujolais count? If so, cases and cases . . .
pretty much passing on all red Burgs, though I did grab a little Clos des Lambrays . . .
alan

I originally thought the same way, but I am starting to get the impression that the 08/09 comparison is like the 01/02 comparison. Maybe 09 and 02 were better across the board but the 01 vintage in the Cote de Nuits , was more to my preferences than 02 (more classic for lack of a better word).

Have you tasted the wines? I’d guess that Bachelet’s 08 Corbeaux will be finer than the 09 Vielle Vigne (although the Vielle Vignes more enjoyable right off the bat). I’d love to hear from some who have tasted both.

I’m trying to be immune to the hype. It actually doesn’t sound like the type of vintage where I want to chase the upper tier wines–certainly not without tasting things. My guess is the lower tier will be great for early drinking, and still readily available at least for a while. But the typical burg in my cellar, that I’m not going to expect to start drinking for 10-12-15 years, doesn’t seem to fit with what I’ve heard about 2009. They seem like wonderfully charming open forward wines, perhaps a little short on nuance and complexity. (note–I’ve tasted one so far).

Hi Alan! So, why no '09 Burgs, Mr. King Of Burgs?

Barry, in my post I said “Caveat, I’ve tasted neither of these wines…” or something to that effect. So no, I haven’t tasted either. Just not a big acid guy and I’m guessing '08s will be a little too acidic for me…

Interesting, I had a Lapierre Morgon last night and was looking at Clos des Lambrays purchases today…

Just grabbed some Geantet Pansiot ‘Charmes Chamb’ and ‘CM VV’. What the hell…

okay, but keep us posted… please.

got some jadot csj, bouchard jesus, corton, a mixed case of Ray Walker’s finest, just getting started?

I really don’t need much early drinking wine so I don’t plan on buying '09s heavily. Instead, I am going to look for good deals on my favorite '08 GCs and 1ers and wait for the '10s.
That said, if there are great '09s at reasonable prices I probably won’t be able to resist.