my local paper sucks

This is why small town local newspapers suck.

http://www.pressbanner.com/view/full_story/11075904/article-The-Wine-Lover--The-mold-that-turns-grapes-to-gold" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This guy is supposed to be a “certified sommelier”.

If that’s the case, shouldn’t he know that “Sauterne” is a semi-generic term that can legally apply to nearly any type of wine (aka the same way that Gallo bottles jug wine and calls it “Burgundy”) and that the region is actually called “Sauternes”?

[head-bang.gif]

[rofl.gif]

After reading the thread about whether wine writers should be certified, all I can do is laugh. The writing is so poor I have to wonder if the author passed any college course.

What the heck do you mean “small town”? The paper covers both Bonny Doon and Scotts Valley…spanning the globe!

They all suck. There’s a reason I refer to my local paper as the fishwrap.

Not all small town papers suck.

West County Gazette

I’ve now read the “article”. That is some major suckage.

I’m curious what a “certified sommelier” is? If this guy was an MW (clearly he isn’t), he would use the designation. Otherwise, who/what actually certified him?

The writing is so poor that I can’t believe any editor would let it go by.

I like mittens. Mittens keep me warm. Mittens are made of wool. Wool comes from sheep which are 4 legged animals who eat grass.

Good God. Its like something written by a 7th grader.

Hey, I read the article and it is well … say something nice … full of words. I would still take it over the Toronto Star.

[pwn.gif]

I like mittens too! Yay mittens!!

In the guy’s defense - he’s writing to his audience, or at least the audience his editor thinks he should write to.

BTW, my local paper sucks too.

So I shouldn’t subscribe to this one once I move out there? neener

For the Court of Master Sommeliers “certified sommelier” is the next level above their intro class. There is a written test and a tasting test.

[rofl.gif] Wine is good. Me like wine.

Next installment: How my baby was made…(for the curious)