Jets win, Patriots lose: I drink Palmer 1970

I have never been sure if I am more of a Jets fan or a Patriot hater. Doesn’t matter this time I got the double whammy, so figured that as I could celebrate the “double,” and pull out the Palmer. I took the bottle with a high shoulder fill, the most ullaged from this case. I bought it from an incredible UK cellar, where I always seem to get bottles that are incredibly youthful, and this was no exception. Still fairly crimson, the faintest of bricking.

A beautiful claret nose, still with plenty of dark fruit, some floral components and a a little earthiness. Fruit more dominant on palate. Complex and very elegant and with a huge finish. Quite lovely. 95 points.

Mark,

Great wine and a great win! The Jets really exposed the Pats weaknesses yesterday.

Byron

Great note, must be especially satisfying if this if from the case you had so much trouble getting delivery of. But how will you top it next week?

Thanks guys. I suppose if the Jets win next week, will pull out a 1983 Chave. If they win they Superbowl, that is going to be more interesting. Probably old Giacosa Riserva of some description.

The one disadvantage of actually going to the game and cooking on a grill in the parking lot is that it’s hard to justify bringing a great old wine and drinking it in that setting, what with the sediment, and the decanting, and the need for the perfect glass, and your clothes smelling of burning charcoal, etc. There was that glass of 1982 La Mission . . … But if the team performs the miracle trinity of exorcising three demons in three consecutive weeks, I may have to do something completely whacky for the Superbowl. I’m thinking of asking for a Pope Todd dispensation from the numbering rules to have Berserkerfest XLV that day.

I would think something from 1969 would be in order…
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1001/super.bowl.III.flashback/content.12.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously you’ll have some Iron City on hand in case the Steelers win.

There are no winners here…

Hey, it’s a premium lager, says so right on the label!

Iron City is to classy and premium as Rothlesburger is to romantic seduction.

Zing!

I used to confuse Iron City with Irn-Bru.