Fat Cork- A great new Champagne retailer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Anthony Lombardi

Fat Cork- A great new Champagne retailer

#1 Post by Anthony Lombardi » January 15th, 2011, 9:20 am

I'll get the disclaimer out of the way first, this is a brand new business owned by my friend Bryan Maletis. I have no interest in the business except well wishes for him and delicious Champagne for me.

The company is called Fat Cork. Bryan and his wife went to Champagne last year and found 30 grower Champagnes which were not imported into the US. They are now bringing them in and selling them via the web, or if you are lucky enough to be here in Seattle, you can pick them up at their very cold retail space. I was lucky enough to be his first customer and have tasted two of the three selections I purchased and have been elated with both. His wines range from Brut Nature to Demi Sec and there is a price range for everyone. The site provides great information on the wines as well.

Mods- I am posting this as information to the Berserker community, and am trying to be mindful that it doesn't sound too much like an ad as I type. If I need to edit the language, please let me know.

Ed Murray
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Fat Cork- A great new Champagne retailer

#2 Post by Ed Murray » January 15th, 2011, 9:41 am

Anthony Lombardi wrote:I'll get the disclaimer out of the way first, this is a brand new business owned by my friend Bryan Maletis. I have no interest in the business except well wishes for him and delicious Champagne for me.

The company is called Fat Cork. Bryan and his wife went to Champagne last year and found 30 grower Champagnes which were not imported into the US. They are now bringing them in and selling them via the web, or if you are lucky enough to be here in Seattle, you can pick them up at their very cold retail space. I was lucky enough to be his first customer and have tasted two of the three selections I purchased and have been elated with both. His wines range from Brut Nature to Demi Sec and there is a price range for everyone. The site provides great information on the wines as well.

Mods- I am posting this as information to the Berserker community, and am trying to be mindful that it doesn't sound too much like an ad as I type. If I need to edit the language, please let me know.
Where is the store located?
It's not the event, it's the reaction to the event!

Anthony Lombardi

#3 Post by Anthony Lombardi » January 15th, 2011, 10:12 am

It's on Lower Queen Anne. They are still building their permanent space with the tasting bar, nice fixtures, ac units for the summer, so they are in a smaller space which has more of a warehouse feel for now. It is well organized and I'd recommend sending Bryan an e-mail to set up a time to come by.

Brent C l a y t o n

#4 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » January 15th, 2011, 10:59 am

Members are certainly entitled to review retailers if they choose, and you have disclosed the nature of your relationship with the owners. Sounds ok to me.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by dcornutt » January 15th, 2011, 11:05 am

Anthony.
I think heads up on a new business is always appreciated.
Sounds like he should do well.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Rob Rippe

#6 Post by Rob Rippe » January 15th, 2011, 11:18 am

I just checked out their website - nice!

Alot of interesting wine- ones I've never heard of...
Good luck to your friends! [cheers.gif]

Cheers
Rip
If you were a bird and lived very high,
You'd lean on the wind when the breeze came by,
You'd say to the wind as it took you away,
That's where I wanted to go today

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Robert M yers » January 15th, 2011, 7:44 pm

Did you by chance have the Jean Baillette-Prudhomme Rose de Saignee, if its truly dry and that electric color I have to give that a try.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Kris Patten » January 15th, 2011, 9:07 pm

Anthony Lombardi wrote:I'll get the disclaimer out of the way first, this is a brand new business owned by my friend Bryan Maletis. I have no interest in the business except well wishes for him and delicious Champagne for me.

I know Maletis well myself, and was glad to hear he was doing this all those months ago. Hope everyone supports his venture.
ITB

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Kris Patten » January 18th, 2011, 10:30 am

Wanted to bump this as there was a nice bit on WineBusinessOnline.

http://www.winebusiness.com/news/?go=ge ... taid=82926" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

**I don't import, nor sell any Champers to Bryan.
ITB

Jeff Fish
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Jeff Fish » January 18th, 2011, 11:34 am

Thanks for the info. I'll look forward to visiting if we make it to Seattle this summer.
Jeffrey D. Fish

Shut the up, Donny. You're out of your element.

Sean Moore

#11 Post by Sean Moore » January 19th, 2011, 9:50 am

Love the name. Screams out for a line of t-shirts!

R yan C omaz zetto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by R yan C omaz zetto » January 10th, 2020, 10:47 am

Bump.

Anyone here buy from Fat Cork? I have a couple co-workers (who are by no means wine geeks) that belong to this club and tell me it's fantastic. I am not very knowledgeable about champagne and am considering joining. Any insight on the selections and value?

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » January 10th, 2020, 11:00 am

9 year old post resurrection?

Victor Hong

#14 Post by Victor Hong » January 10th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Anthony Lombardi wrote:
January 15th, 2011, 9:20 am
I'll get the disclaimer out of the way first, this is a brand new business owned by my friend Bryan Maletis. I have no interest in the business except well wishes for him and delicious Champagne for me.

Let us hope that it survives the Fat Orange.
WineHunter.

R yan C omaz zetto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by R yan C omaz zetto » January 10th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 11:00 am
9 year old post resurrection?
Why not? I searched and found a thread on the topic I wanted to discuss.

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by SeanHarding » January 10th, 2020, 12:57 pm

I've never done the club (I have a personal policy against any wine clubs), but I have placed numerous orders from them and have always been happy. They have some interesting stuff, and my experience is that their customer service is great.

Troy Stark

#17 Post by Troy Stark » January 10th, 2020, 1:01 pm

R yan C omaz zetto wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 12:47 pm
Damned if you search, damned if you don't. :)

I ordered from them once because I wanted to try a wine that only they were importing. I found their customer service, packaging and accompanying materials really well done. That said, I think their prices are... "a little high" would be putting it mildly. I really can't understand why they are charging what they do.
Insta: @lofiwineguy

R yan C omaz zetto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by R yan C omaz zetto » January 10th, 2020, 3:42 pm

Yeah, that's kinda what I was worried about. Thanks for the feedback

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by lleichtman » January 10th, 2020, 3:54 pm

Anthony Lombardi wrote:
January 15th, 2011, 9:20 am

This is a great looking site. Oh well, budget busting again. Thanks for the posting. champagne.gif
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Chuck Miller » January 10th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Troy Stark wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 1:01 pm
R yan C omaz zetto wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 12:47 pm
Damned if you search, damned if you don't. :)

I ordered from them once because I wanted to try a wine that only they were importing. I found their customer service, packaging and accompanying materials really well done. That said, I think their prices are... "a little high" would be putting it mildly. I really can't understand why they are charging what they do.
Maybe because they are in WA state, home of some of the highest alcohol taxes in the nation.
Chuck Miller

Dale Williams

#21 Post by Dale Williams » January 10th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Chuck Miller wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 4:08 pm
Maybe because they are in WA state, home of some of the highest alcohol taxes in the nation.
On wine? I thought I was told WA had high spirit/liquor taxes , but not wine. If there is a high wine excise how does Garagiste exist- they are in WA I thinK?

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Dan Kravitz » January 10th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Chuck,

WA may have high taxes, but when it comes to Champagne pricing, they are a small pimple on the ass of Godzilla, ie, irrelevant.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Chuck Miller » January 10th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 5:42 pm
Chuck Miller wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 4:08 pm
On wine? I thought I was told WA had high spirit/liquor taxes , but not wine. If there is a high wine excise how does Garagiste exist- they are in WA I thinK?
Yes, still high. More than 4 times the rate of CA, coupled with other restrictions that some states don’t have that make it hard to compete. In many cases, it was cheaper for a private collector to buy in CA at retail than the WA wholesale price. Some regs were relaxed when we privatized hard alcohol sales, but WA retailers still operate at a disadvantage.
Chuck Miller

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Chuck Miller » January 10th, 2020, 7:50 pm

Dan Kravitz wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Chuck,

WA may have high taxes, but when it comes to Champagne pricing, they are a small pimple on the ass of Godzilla, ie, irrelevant.

Dan Kravitz
Not following the logic here. Yes, we are a pimple, but whatever amount of Champagne we sell here in WA, no matter how small, is taxed at a fairly high rate compared to other states.
Chuck Miller

edwardmilstein

#25 Post by edwardmilstein » January 11th, 2020, 5:47 am

Think he's talking about the amount of the tax relative to the price of the champagnes.JMTC
drinker,drinker,drinker,collector,negotiant,importer.ITB

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by David Glasser » January 11th, 2020, 5:49 am

Chuck, when you say alcohol taxes are 4 times higher in WA than in CA, what does that come out to in dollars for a bottle of, say, 14% ABV wine?

Troy Stark

#27 Post by Troy Stark » January 11th, 2020, 7:08 am

https://www.salestaxhandbook.com/washington/alcohol

The 6.5% sales tax wouldn't affect the retail cost. The federal excise tax applies to every state. The WA excise tax of 87c oer gallon is the only WA specific tax that would affect the final retail list price. 5 bottles in a gallon means this tax raises the final retail price by 17.4 cents per bottle...
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Warren Taranow » January 11th, 2020, 10:06 am

I'm in Chuck's camp. As far as I can tell, I pay almost 9% sales tax on every bottle. That doesn't seem insubstantial.

WT
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by David Glasser » January 11th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Warren Taranow wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 10:06 am
I'm in Chuck's camp. As far as I can tell, I pay almost 9% sales tax on every bottle. That doesn't seem insubstantial.

WT
Sales tax on alcohol is 9% in MD and 10.25% in DC, so from my perspective 9% doesn’t seem higher than "normal." WA's 6.5% is a relative bargain.

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Chuck Miller » January 11th, 2020, 2:43 pm

Sales tax has nothing to do with it, although WA does have a high sales tax rate (due to no income tax). Troy, the excise tax is not added at the retail level, but at an earlier tier, raising the cost at each tier, and getting marked up at each subsequent tier. The net effect might be more like 40-50 cents, which isn’t much on a bottle of Champagne, but can be significant on a low priced wine. But taxes are just one factor as to why WA has never been the cheapest place to buy wine.
Chuck Miller

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by SeanHarding » January 11th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Taxes aside, I don't think Fat Cork is trying to be a bargain basement retailer. If you already know what you want, and how to source it, there are almost surely cheaper places to buy. But when I've bought from them in the past, it's because they brought my attention to some things I hadn't tried before, and I found that to be a service worth paying for (at least to the extent that I wasn't motivated to use their site to identify stuff, and then go to wine-searcher to find the same thing cheaper elsewhere). YMMV.

Return to “Wine Talk”