Dom: so exclusive they can afford to "give it away"

Just got this email from a retailer here in NYC:

May 20, 2009

“The” Champagne Tasting

“In victory, you deserve Champagne, in defeat, you need it.” Napoleon Bonaparte

• Advance reservation admission is $129.00 per person.
  • At-The-Door admission is $150.00 per person
  • All those attending will receive a Dom Perignon 2000 gift bottle set
  • Tasting will consist of a relaxed walk-around format, light appetizers will be served.

Champagnes available for tasting:
Dom Perignon 1999
Dom Perignon 2000
Dom Perignon Oenotheque 1993
Dom Perignon Rose 1998
Moet Grand Vintage 2000
Moet Rose
Moet Imperial

Purchase your ticket now

DP’s production numbers are notoriously kept secret year in, year out. Still baffles me how there is soooooo much of this “exclusive” product out there. [dontknow.gif]

My favorite liquor store sign ever (seen in Studio City):

Tonight’s Lotto Numbers: 3-7-19-32-46-56 (numbers are samples only, I don’t remember them)

Marlboro: $24.99 CTN Limit 3

Dom P: $149.99

just like any other luxury cuvee or bordeaux in France, they make them in the 10s of thousands of case quantity. Dom is probably one of the highest but there is no lack of supply for most of the upper end champagne/bordeauxs

Charlie, there are VERY finite amounts of Milan Terre de Noel, Vilmart Creation, Billiot Laetitia and even Clos de Goisses…

Call me crazy, but $129 for the tasting and you get a gift bottle of 2000 DP? Seems more than fair to me

You’re crazy. [berserker.gif] None of those wines is all that great. Plenty of equal or better Champagne out there at less than $130. DP can be great in good vintages but in most others it is well over priced. Doesn’t stop people from buying it for the label though.

You can probably flip the bottle for $100. Then the question is whether this tasting is worth $29.

No idea about how good the 2000 is, but DP is still one of my fav champagnes (regardless of price) and I thought even in some average vintages (e.g. 98) it still delivered. 99 was a let down (especially for the price).

While not a great lineup of DP’s, with a free bottle of '00, it’s certainly a very good deal.

As far as DP being overpriced in most vintages - I can’t agree. I haven’t had the '00 since last fall, but it was pretty good the few times I had it. A few vintages, like 98 and 99 are imo fair champagnes that carry too heavy a price tag. But, 95 and 96 are both excellent champagnes, especially the 96. 92 and 93 were released in more limited quantities and probably shouldn’t have been released at all. 90, 88, 85 and 82 are all very good to great DP’s. 80 and 83 are ok. 78 is pretty good and then going back from there, at minimum, 8 out of the next 10 vintages are great. Going back further is bottle by bottle and I have no idea how they drank when they were adolescents, never mind in their youth so no need to break down those vintages.

The thing to watch is if the trend post 1990 continues, in that as many fair vintages of the regular DP are released as excellent ones.

Haven’t tasted any roses younger than the 96, but every vintage that I have drank has been at least very good.

Oenotheques, besides the 93 - which imo shouldn’t have been released - and the 90 which is merely good - have all been great.

Must be a tough decision whether to declare a vintage or not when the champagne is just ok; either lose out on an additional few hundred million $ in revenue or risk damaging the brand in the long term.

It varies but several thousand cases of Clos des Goisses are produced in vintages that are released.
Don’t know the quantity for the others, but if the quality is there, what’s the difference how many cases are made? In fact, isn’t it much better that high quantities are made if the wine is good so that it’s readily available.

thread drift…

Ray,

In the last 30 years, what do you think is the greatest vintage of DP?

'82?

Let’s see what Raymond says. Since 78… I think 96 is the best (followed by 85 and 90 in my book, in whichever order). The one I’d most enjoy right now is 85.

Wow - pretty tough question.

I think I’d put them 96, 90, 85 then 82 with not much space between any of those vintages.

While I was unimpressed with the DP’00, the Rose was very good.

It looks to me that if you like DP, this is a pretty smoking deal. $129 is under wholesale on it here.

Personally, I’d rather have Clos des Goisses but that’s a different animal.

Probably a dumb question Ray, but how many other vintages of the Rosé post-96 have been released?

TIA

IIRC, it was just '98, no?

As Todd says, just the '98 Rose has been released. But when I was at DP last, there were other younger DP Roses but I didn’t get an opportunity to taste them. Not sure if they have allowed others to taste them yet.

I’ll be curious to taste the 2002, any idea when that might be released?

You can almost always find the current vintage of DP for $100-110 in the Boston area - as I was JUST getting into wine, stacks of 1996 for $99 during Xmas were everywhere. If I only knew then…

Accroding to Wikipedia, I know…not the most trusted source but, DP’s production is around 5 million bottles!!! [blink.gif]

I heard anything from 2 million to 5 million… depends on the vintage I guess. It’s hard to know for sure but some people in the know just add up what they know is being sold to Moet for the DP and compute that info to something in the “several millions” range. I’d like to know the exact figure some day. What impresses me all the time is to get that level of quality (and consistency) with figures this big. Although I also heard of good batches and bad batches of the 96 - the rumor mills goes on and on.