TNs: Rivers-Marie, Loring, Baumard, Boislauzon, Neyers

One of the best wine nights I’ve had in a while. Not a dud in the bunch and these were all excellent overall with some being exceptional.

2001 Mas de Boislauzon Châteauneuf-du-Pape (Rhone, France)
13.5% abv. Decanted for about an hour. Light, brick red color with orange rim. Perfumed nose of gravel, herbs, spice and dried black cherry. Light mouthfeel, very smooth with a short finish. Overall, I really enjoyed this wine and thought it paired the best with our dinner (rack of lamb).

2006 Neyers Syrah Old Lakeville Road (Sonoma Coast, CA)
14.8% abv. Decanted for about an hour. Deep, inky purple color. Beautiful aromatic nose filled with dark fruits, violet and smoked meat. As expected, this was much more forward, lush and round in the mouth compared to the CdP. However, there was a nice sense of balance with the Neyers; definitely some toasty new oak running through, but in line with the gobss of tasty fruit to help it all come together. Just a slight hint of heat, but otherwise really impressive.

2005 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume (Loire Valley, France)
This was my first dessert wine from this region and producer and it was paired with a berry shortcake.
WOW! A truly stunning wine with unbelievable focus and precision. Floral sweet nose ripe with honey, melon and apricot. The palate is treated to the same symphony of sweetness yet this elixir is incredibly light and lithe in the mouth due to perfect acidity. As much as I love sauternes, tokaji, etc., the lightness of this stickie made it even more complex and beguiling and I’m definitely in the hunt for more from this and other Loire producers. I bought this for <$40; phenomenal value here as well.

2006 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Shea Vineyard (Willamette Valley, OR)
14.1% abv. Unscrewed and poured after dinner. In short, I was taken by surprise with this pinot. Expecting a bigger style, this puppy presented juicy, pure fruit wrapped up in a restrained, seamless package. A great example of what happens when you put prime grapes in the hands of an adept winemaker. We blew through this bottle; just delicious

2007 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
14.2% abv. Popped and poured. We all felt this was similar to the Loring. The aromatics were practically identical; loads of cherry and black fruits coupled with baking spice. In the mouth, not as approachable as the Loring; it was a tad tight and closed, but has so much promise ahead. Based on this bottle, I believe the hype with the ’07 vintage in CA. Can’t wait to try it again in a few months.

thanks for your notes, Brett. I [give_heart.gif] love [give_heart.gif] that Boislauzon … it’s in a great place right now.

Thanks Brian. It’s no secret you’re a fan of Boislauzon [cheers.gif]

I need to fill up more of their stuff as soon as I get into a purchasing mode again…

Forgot to jot a note down about the first bottle we had to start the evening.
I’m a fan of txakolina in general; it’s killer with anything fried/salty and is perfect for taming heat (both climate and in food).

2008 Ameztoi Getariako Txakolina Rose Rubentis (Spain)

It’s been a few days now, but I recall brilliant acidity, tangy citrus rind and slate that got better and better as the wine opened up. The effervescence really makes this rose stand out from the crowd and shine. Great by itself and excellent with food.