01 WS Pinot, 04 Sassicaia & 05 Peirson Meyer

2001 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Sonoma County - USA, California, Sonoma County (5/10/2009)
Post Burt wines have been hit and miss for me. Some beautiful, some hot and shrill. This wine has come along nicely. I don’t normally do this but I will point out the labeled 13.1% alc. I went and checked after the wine was poured for me as I usually notice a lot of alcohol on newer WS wines. Not this time. This is just starting to come into its own. Fruity and pretty. Red fruited with a pleasant amount of acidity. Seems to be just coming into its drinking window. Great stuff for the appellation series.

2004 Tenuta San Guido Bolgheri Sassicaia Sassicaia - Italy, Tuscany, Bolgheri, Bolgheri Sassicaia (5/10/2009)
A bit of unfair treatment here as it was popped and poured. But we did keep it around in our glasses for a few hours. At first the aromatics were primarily earthy and a bit muted. On the palate this is showing lots of fruit and acid. Big ripe fruit but not heavy in any way. Firm tannins on the finish but they are masked by the fruit. Should be a sensational wine with the parts come together.

2005 Peirson Meyer Chardonnay Untitled - USA, California, Sonoma County (5/10/2009)
We started drinking this and then kept it open for about 6 hours. A decent Cali chard. Not for those that don’t like richness in their chard. Dressed in oak and malo. Not without acidity but just lacked the structure for me to enjoy much more than a glass. Seems well made but not my preferred style.

Cheers,

Jason