TNs: 2006 Clavelier Beaux Monts and Combe d'Orveaux

These wines were both popped open about 4 hrs before the first sip was taken and left in the bottle, undecanted. Both are undeniably excellent and you could argue that the Beaux Monts has a greater purity but at least for today, the Combe d’Orveaux is a more complete and integrated wine and was our favorite, though not by a huge amount. Without speaking to points or absolute quality, both are clearly wines that are thoroughly enjoyable and unknockable and the only time either will ever suffer is when lined up with something better - either provides all the pleasure I can ask of a bottle when taken by itself.

2006 Domaine Bruno Clavelier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru La Combe d’Orveau - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (5/10/2009)
This wine is a touch riper and more giving overall. It has classic Chambolle character of intensely sappy red fruit but appears a touch riper and warmer toned than the Beaux Monts. Dusty warm earth, gravel and a slight whiff of pine sap in there as well. This is a more balanced and integrated wine than the Beaux Monts, though, with a more harmonious palate and a touch better length. As an aside, reading CT notes, I don’t get either the heat or anise that Keith noted… though it is riper than the Beaux Monts and different palates / threshholds are just that.

2006 Domaine Bruno Clavelier Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (5/10/2009)
This is the slightly more austere but slightly spicier wine. Vosne spice is showing but not domintating. Not as much sweet / sappy red fruit as the Combe d’Orveaux, and a little cooler toned overall. A very strong crushed rock minerality. Shows a touch brighter acidity on the palate and a bit of drying tannin with pretty good length.

Great notes Josh, thanks for posting.

By chance, have you tried the 06 Brulees?

Not yet… I have more of the Combe d’Orveaux and the Beaux Monts so I took them for a test drive. With just 2 bottles of Brulees they went straight to the bottom of the cellar… I do have 2 bottles of the Bourgogne to give a whirl to at some point for cheap indulgence.