TN: Wines with Flannery Lamb Saddle - Thanks Steve!

Steve Williams prepared a tremendous meal for us last night. It was a great evening of conversation, food and wine.

2001 Rudd Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Oakville - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (5/7/2009)
Popped and poured. Nice rich color. Dusty, dark fruits. Well balanced.
2005 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (5/7/2009)
Popped and poured. Wonderful nose of dark fruits and baking spice. Smooth, pure raspberry flavors. Not overly spicy or peppery at this point. Paired well with a dinner of lamb saddle, fragrant rice and broccoli sauteed with garlic, olive oil and chicken stock.
1997 René Renou Bonnezeaux Cuvée Zenith - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Bonnezeaux (5/7/2009)
Popped and poured. Very cool amber color. Burnt caramel, honey, marmalade, stone fruits. Rich, deep, vibrant, wonderful mouthfeel. Paired with Saint Agur blue beautifully.
Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note on the Rudd. I plan on taking a bottle up to Chicago in a couple of months for beef and cab dinner.

Great mix of wines, Brian!!

What, pray tell, is ‘Lamb Saddle’, for us exotic meat cut n00bs…?

Todd,

It’s a double lamb loin roast. It was incredibly flavorful.

Think of where a riding saddle would fit on a lamb…the cut come from that part on the back of the animal.

I didn’t realize you bothered with a saddle when you “ride” yours.

That looks absolutely INSANE! A fat cap that solid all the way around?

[shock.gif]

You got it. I usually like lamb cooked rare, and rare it was very good, but after a little longer on the fire the cap had a wonderful crust and the meat took on a much fuller flavor profile.

I took one look at these pics and called Bryan’s Fine Foods. Lamb saddles should be at my front door tomorrow (along with some hanger & skirt steaks).

Incidentally, Bryan descibed FFII as an “interesting experience.”

Hmmm…

In a good way.

I deboned some Costco loinchops (AKA porterhouse cut)
last night

would the saddle anything like a double strip loin? (bones removed)

yum flannery meat. Too bad I don’t eat meat… sigh. Did Steve make his Saffron Rice? That stuff is delicious

See you tmrw brian!

http://www.youtube.com/v/4y9sy8c6yuM&hl=en&fs=1

aight i eat some seafood. That’s about it. Two Months going strong. I can still taste the Flannery

Lamb saddle, saffron rice, broccoli, and wine. Oh, and some cheese for dessert.

For anyone cooking a lamb saddle like this I would suggest cooking it to internal temp of 145-150. I cooked this on the rotisserie on the grill. Like Brian said, it was better with a little more heat on it.

Oh, and the Rudd beat the hell out of the Pegau (not beating up on Brian, since I opened both, I just preferred the cab with the lamb).