TN: Two Reserva Riojas from Hermanos Pecina

• 2001 Bodegas Hermanos Peciña Rioja Señorío de P. Peciña Reserva - Spain, La Rioja, Rioja (12/30/2010)
    Having loved the '99 of this wine, I was excited to see the '01 on the shelf. It had a nose of leather, cherry, and a floral component. Really special nose. I picked up a lot of that on the palate too, there was a bit less fruit than I expected. Well integrated and balanced with some roundness. I’d have to say I prefer the 1999 at this point although that wine is a bit more rustic.
  • 1999 Bodegas Hermanos Peciña Rioja Señorío de P. Peciña Reserva - Spain, La Rioja, Rioja (2/28/2009)
    I just love this wine. Leather, earth, cranberry, cherry, and some sort of spice that I can’t name. The nose is concentrated and complex. On the palate, the wine is smooth and round with mild, well integrated acidity on the finish. Minimal tannin remains. Taste is similar to the nose. Excellent balance, strong midpalate and seamless. Wonderful.

Posted from CellarTracker

The 1999 was one of my favorite riojas and although I liked the 2001 too, I was expecting more as I’d heard fabulous things about the vintage. I’ve really liked quite a few of the Pecina wines from various levels. Good stuff.

Has anyone tried the 2000 Reserva?

Thanks

Scott

Now that the 2001 Senorio. P. Pecina ‘Reserva’ [Rioja] is old enough to vote, I thought it would be a good time to check it out. I have some younger vintages but have not sampled them yet. This is 13.5% abv and upon popping & pouring it’s balanced and smooth. It doesn’t need food to be enjoyed. Some people compare this traditional producer to Lopez de Heredia, but for my tastes, I find the LdH wines to be more acidic, and difficult to drink sans food. On the nose I get dill, watermelon rind, and camphor – it has a great bouquet. Color is a pale ruby red, with some lightening at the edges. The body is medium, and easy to drink, even though its a complex serious wine. It’s showing a fine palate, with good not great concentration of red berry fruit, maybe 30 seconds of finish lingering. A little cedar and pencil notes here for the Bordeaux enthusiast too. This merits an A- in my ledger after trying it over a couple of days, with no fading.

I’d ordered some 2010 a while back and had a glitch getting that, and am now kind of bummed out considering how well the 2001 has aged. I’ll have to go look around for the 2010 again.