TN: 2007 St. Innocent Momtazi Vineyard

I’m usually a big St Innocent fan, tried lots of their wines from different vintages and vineyards with mostly positive results. So last week I tried this 07 Momtanzi and to my shock and horror it was like drinking dirt…just awful, so I dumped it down the drain. Now figuring that this had to be an off bottle I opened another one a couple days ago and had the same result…dirt.

These were the worst bottles of wine I had all year and St. Innocent should be ashamed and embarrassed for making this shit. [middle-finger.gif]

Fixed.

Zoinks. Was going to open a bottle of this today. Hmmmm. Got it on blow out for $20.

J

Envoyer? Same here…good luck.

Yup. This was good out of barrel IIRC. Did you try leaving it open?

J

Oh yea…give one a try and let me know what you think. I still have a few more. [head-bang.gif]

Steve,

I make my own wine at St. Innocent, AND as a strong advocate for the Oregon 2007 vintage, I feel a need to respond.

I haven’t tasted the 2007 Momtazi lately, and do not know the reason why the wine is being sold dirt cheap. I do know that when I tasted it earlier this year, it was certainly tasting in the 90-91 point range that Meadows and Raynolds gave it in January 2010 and July 2010, respectively.

I would encourage you to contact Mark Vlossak directly at the phone number listed here: http://www.stinnocentwine.com/NewFiles/location.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All the best, Tom

Tom, Envoyer had 10+ cases they were blowing out at $19.99 per, and with CT scores in the 90-92 point range I thought it was a good buy. But this wine was void of fruit and tasted like dirt so either it’s the winery’s fault or there’s a problem with provenance…either way it’s horrible and I’d like feedback from others regarding it.

Have you had Momtazi before? Interesting profile at least the blocks Mark gets.

I’ll try to pop one today. Lot’s of experienced wine folks here today. I’ll probably save a small bit of the bottle and see what a few days does to it as well.

J

Cool site, challenging vintage. The wine is green and is not going to get better.

Jason, did you try the '06?
It was one of my favorite of the St Innocent lineup.

Just ordered a few blts @ $19.99 from Just Grapes. You guys made me curious.

Shaley, welcome to Berserkers. Hope to see more of your comments.

I did although it has been 2 years, other than a small taste at the winery last February. I liked the 06 and being that I am not a fan of the 06 vintage, that says something.

Jason

With this type of praise it’s just about guaranteed I’m gonna love it.

[rofl.gif] I was kind of thinking the same thing … although Steve has been around the block a few times so it worries me a bit.

J

Pretty sure I tasted this several months ago and didn’t find the flaw. Sounds like Geosmin. A few weeks ago, Jamie Goode posted about it showing up in a number of unidentified 07 OR Pinots. Makes me wonder if the problem can appear/worsen after heat stress.

RT

Haven’t had this specific wine, but you’re spot on about Momtazi’s microclimate - though it’s a little warmer than some surrounding places because of its location up a little valley where it’s protected a bit from the cool Van Duzer breeze like its neighbor, Hyland.

Since this is your first post, why don’t you visit this thread and introduce yourself. Always nice to have another person with knowledge of the WV. http://www.wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glad you are popping one today Jason. I’m fascinated to try this also. And like Jim said, the nothing but dirt descriptor would normally get the Burg heads lining up!

No prob, you and others who have tasted the wine also get to rate it.

I forwarded your post to Mark. I told him the post was from here. I urge you to contact him directly, and hope he will be able to reach you somehow, if he doesn’t already have your contact info.

Take care, Tom

Just popped it. Smells like Momtazi and SI. Only took a small sip. But I haven’t ate lunch and the last thing I had was toothpaste. Will report back after tonight.

J