TN: 2001 Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf du Pape

Oh my.
This is in a very good place.
Great combination of spice, fruit and structure.
Very fresh and lively.

2001 Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf du Pape

A wonderful nose of black pepper, almost asian spice and a very vibrant dark fruit. Complex. Intoxicating. The palate is perfectly balanced. Darker fruit and VERY fresh in the mouth.
Spicy finish that just lingers forever. This might be my favorite Donjon. (Even surpassing 1998 and 2007)

For you Nigel. You would have loved this one.

Very nice Don.
I don’t own a lot of Donjon, but have had the 2001 thrice.
Lovely wine. Lovely note.
I hope you are enjoying the holidays.
Currently enduring a blizzard up here in CT with a 2007 Beaucastel CdR.
Cheers to you.

Don, lovely wine. I shall have to open something Rhone-ish in honor of Nigel as well. Maybe every night this week in fact.

Agreed. Tonight it will be a Gigondas. One of my favorite memories of Nigel was his term for the plural of this wine region – Gigondasses! [cheers.gif]

Alex

Same thought Don. I opened an '01 Les Cailloux CdP tonight. Nigel loved his CdPs.

Really good note, thanks Don. We drank the 2001 Vieux Donjon for Christmas and it was superb. Great pairing with an herb-crusted beef tenderloin.

-Michael

We had an 01 Vieux Donjon the last couple of nights and it is still drinking fabulously. One of last bottles left, but saddle, blood, cinnamon, fruitcake, and more on the nose. Amazingly complex bouquet, interesting and so balanced. 1998 and the (only tasted once) 1990 are better in my memory, but I’m not sure I’d want to make that call if I was tasting them blind side by side.

2001 is a Southern Rhone vintage drinking well now, even on the downslope for some AOC.

I have had this a few times but not for about five plus years. Really enjoyed the 2014 recently but don’t see that wine going for 18 plus years.