06 vs 07 S Rhone

Having tasted a fairly broad array of '06 and a decent number of '07s, I’m wondering where the Berserkers stand on the two vintages.
I’ve found the poise, clarity, and balance of the '06s to be compelling. At the same time, I’m finding the density, power, and richness of the '07s utterly satisfies any need for immediate gratification.
Case in point:
Mordoree 06 CdP La Reine de Bois has an incredible underlying structure to it. Metaphor time: the structure is like the Golden Gate Bridge, simultaneously sound and beautiful such that it allows one to appreciate the spectacular view during the crossing. The fruit, acids, tannins all sing in harmony, even in this youthful stage.
Metaphor 2: Mordoree 07 CdP La Reine de Bois is akin to drinking the boysenberry sauce at IHOP. Sure, I pile the stuff on my 'cakes with abandon, knowing the sugar shock to follow will force my into a coma-like state on my couch. But it tastes SO DAMN GOOD I can’t stop myself! Oily, thick, liquefied licorice/blackstrap-infused raspberry freakout.
At the end of the day, I can’t decide which I prefer, the sexy hedonism of ‘07 or the classic elegance of the ‘06.
Salma Hayek or Jennifer Garner?

And no, I don’t have either wine to sell. There’s a forum for pimpin’ an’ this ain’t it. haha

I know which one Bill L. will prefer. [whistle2.gif]

I haven’t had much, if any, 06 and just 07 CdR. What I have had from 07 has been kick-ass.

I haven’t had enough of either to really make a comparison. I will say that I wouldn’t have thought balance in the 06’s be a defining point in comparison to the 07’s. Probably the opposite as a matter of fact. But again, can’t think of any wines I’ve had from both vintages.

I dont really have an opinion as I too haven’t had enough to say, but am very curious to read the responses as I’m seeing some great deals around on the 2006s (i guess all the excitement for the 07s has made people want to get rid of the 06s)

I hope to someday receive my 07’s, but am really liking the 06’s while waiting on the 05’s to come around. I think 06 was the most open and enjoyable vintage in quite some time.

The problem with Southern Rhone for me is that between price hikes and the fact that some wines I bought quite a few years ago are still undrinkable, I’m really falling back to the basics, i.e. the absolutely non-spoofilated 15 euros a bottle CdP. And at that price I can actually buy a case every vintage and absolutely stop to worry about it. Beats a 50 euros bottle that will turn out to be undrinkable or will get me dead drunk within 2 glasses, every day.

(note: I actually like Mordoree a lot)

i’d prefer whichever vintage stands to age better … i don’t purport to know which that will be.

The 2007’s are delicious, but the alcohol levels are very high. The alcohol is not noticeable in most of the 2007’s when first opened, but it really comes through on Day 2.

The fruit is covering up the alcohol on day 1? Seems like this highly touted vintage might be out of balance a bit

The wines are packed with fruit and glycerin, which makes them very enjoyable out of the gate. I would not bet on most of the 2007’s aging well, however. The 2007 CDP’s remind me the 1998’s when they were first released and most of them have not progressed like I expected. Many of the 1998’ s are showing a good amount of alcohol on the palate and have failed to develop the great bouquets of older vintages. Later harvesting and the increased amount of Syrah in the blends have probably contributed to the problem. Plus, I hate headaches.

Very interesting & timely… a few amateur critics on my usual UK board have said exactly the same thing! I don’t have boat loads of the 98’s but in a tasting in Sept 2005 the '98’s were universally slated and from people with very good Rhone palates. However in the last 5 months good bottles from 1998 drunk recently include Beaucastel, Vieux Donjon, Janasse Chaupin, Bonneau Cuvee Celestins and Marie Beurrier, Pegau Laurence (stunning in fact) and Etienne Gonnet.

There are certainly some very fine 1998’s, as not every producer altered their winemaking. An additional factor is the warmer weather that the region has been experiencing since 1998, which is making the recent changes in winemaking even more pronounced.

I’ve found the random smattering of 07’s I’ve tasted to be hotter than hell, cloyingly sweet, flabby and with bitterness. None of the big names but not the hallmarks of an all time vintage for me.

I’ve had some very good 06’s and a bunch that are overripe, but then again that’s the case for every vintage in Chateauneuf.

All of it doesn’t matter a whole ton though because all I will likely buy in any vintage any more is Les Quartz.

Ah, 2007 Southern Rhone. Look at what Peter said about the 2007 was back a decade ago:
"
Sure, I pile the stuff on my 'cakes with abandon, knowing the sugar shock to follow will force my into a coma-like state on my couch. But it tastes SO DAMN GOOD I can’t stop myself! Oily, thick, liquefied licorice/blackstrap-infused raspberry freakout."

A decade ago, when I believe these kinds of wines were more prized for their overt flavor than they are now, well at least for me they are.

Funny to see how many people were right about where the 07s would land. I opened quite a few this summer and many went down the drain after half a glass…

The question between 06 and 07 is simply a matter of taste.
Most 06 are now almost mature or at least enjoyable while the 07 need a lot more time, the best will be great in some 10 years, but there are also several inbalanced cuvees.

Frank, I wish I bought more 2006 wines
Any '07s I had… Well, let’s say the BYOB policy at my local IHOP was very permissive.

I really dislike the 07s and have had few great 06s. I wish I had bought more 08s. The 08s are in a great place right now, much like the 04s.