what's popping for Christmas?

What’s everyone drinking for Christmas?

We go to my sisters Christmas Eve for French Onion Soup, Caeser Salad. A few Pinots & Rieslings will be popped. My sister celebrates Christmas & Hannukah because of grandkids.

Saturday TBA

Happy Holidays to my Berserker friends ! flirtysmile

Christmas eve will be 1997 Salon and 2005 Marcassin Marcassin Pinot Noir with a six course meal at Marche Moderne. Christmas day, we’ll have to see… but surely more Champagne. We will do our Boxing Day celebrating a day late at Jason Hagen’s street party to help in the socialization of John and Kimberly of Cabot wines as they come down from the mountains in Humboldt to mingle with the flatlanders for a few days.

'99 bollinger. Cheese ravioli w Sage and brown butter.

Looks like a 2006 Saxum Broken Stones as the “cocktail” wine. Trying to choose the right 1990 Bordeaux for the roast beast part of the festivities.
Merry Christmas everyone.
I wish you all a joyous Christmas season.
T.

I was gonna pop a Gewurtz with the stuffed cabbage, but I don’t have a single bottle. I will probably take a dry Riesling or a Spatlese, I still don’t know. Other than that 4 bottles of nice Cabernet. For Mel a nice 1/2 of 2005 Donhoff Niderhouser Hermannshohle Auslese.

Saturday at my wife’s cousin’s house, we’ll stick with tradition…

07 A.P. Vin Garys’ Pinot
04 Kistler Vine Hill Chard

I have a bottle of '04 Quilceda Creek Cab standing up to go with the prime rib roast…

Happy Holidays!
Cheers,
JP

Tonite > 2000 Volnay “Caillerets” - Jean Boillot (THANKS JAYARAM), with veal.

Christmas > 2004 Chablis “Les Clos” - Fevre, with chicken.

TTT

[cheers.gif]

Out of magnum?

Big celebration is tonight, Christmas Eve. Tradition dictates breast of duck in port cream sauce with wild rice.

Starting with 1990 Veuve Clicquot Vintage Reserve 1990 from half-bottle.
Moving to 1987 Shafer HSS (purchased upon release - price tag $31.95 still attached) and/or 2000 Alter Ego de Palmer ($34.99).

Both Cabernets are “up” and settling out.

over the course of the next 72 hours:

2007 Roar “Garys” Pinot Noir
2005 Imagery “Pallus”
2009 Sojourn “Gap’s Crown” Pinot Noir
2008 August West SLH Pinot Noir
2008 Keating Montecillo Cab
2005 Kosta Browne “Kanzler” Pinot Noir

and a few odds and ends as people swing in and out of my sphere of influence.

[cheers.gif]

Today

2004 Dehlinger Claret
2004 Heitz Napa Valley Cab

Tomorrow

2006 Alesia Chileno Valley PN

Tonight w Grilled brined short ribs w ancho- zin jam:

Elyse Sonoma Coast Pinot
Villa Creek High Road
Andrew Murray Roasted Slope Syrah

Tomorrow w citrus marinated pork rib roast:

Roar Rosella Pinot
Jacob Franklin Barbera
Curran Tempranillo

Match vineyards and 1990 D’Yquem tonight - Tommorow undecided.

Maybe 1986 Ch. Talbot.

Just re-read my post, among others. Reason I posted the price is that I was impressed with the value in cellaring wine - these are not bottles from my cellar, but ones from a friend’s cellar who has more forethought and patience than I have. I have been away for a week, and now that I have perused a long thread that erupted while I was away (which was filled with questioning of motives for posting), I thought I’d add my reasons for including the price. Merry Christmas to all!

Tonight with the girlfriends family it’s a sparkling Jura then beer to go with Swedish tradition. Tomorrow it’s a '97 Andrus Reserve, '97 Rinaldi Barolo for the Osso Bucco and maybe a 98 Kalin Semillon for shits and giggles.

Tonight with ribeye roast: Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noir ($13 at Safeway!) & Gundlach-Bundschu '96 Resv Cab
Christmas night with chicken and dumplings: Graham Beck Brut (S. Africa) & Artesa '08 Chard

I am still trying to decide what to open. I better get moving…

Buried my 45 yr old younger brother Wednesday so I am torn whether to pop something great or just go through the motions this year. (Not looking for sympathetic responses…thank you…).

Am leaning toward a 2006 Walter Hansel Cuvee Alyce chard ( I call it Aubert Junior) and then something with the prime rib. I probably will line up a few and let my dad pick.

2002 Silver Oak Alexander, 2001 Caymus, 1999 Monbousquet (he won’t pick it, I would), or 2002 Blankiet Paradise Hills Merlot. Bet Dad will pick the Silver Oak.

All the older choices on this thread with the rib roasts are causing me to think about a 1989 Pichon Lalande or 1992 Groth Reserve…