TN: 2007 Justin Syrah, Paso Robles

This came in my case club shipment on Friday, and I opened a bottle last night to see how the '07s are. Decanted for two hours to let it open up a bit and rid it of the dreaded travel shock.

Dark purple to black. Very expressive nose of violets and blackberries. Good blackberry and kirsch on the palate with a good, round mouthfeel. Label stated 14.5% ETOH and there was no heat at all on the palate. Also stated 40% new French Oak, but again, not noticed. Very restrained style that has the oak integrated with the fruit for such a young bottle.

For $21 a bottle, this is a very good value IMHO. I drink quite a bit of Central Coast and NorCal Syrah, and I hope this is a good indicator of the thing to come from this vintage.

I haven’t had the '07 yet, but I’ve always felt that Justin’s Syrah’s have been great. Especially at that price point.

Justin had an industry party last night and I tried some of this. I was surprized it was drinking so well- it was bottled only 2-3 weeks ago!

I had no idea it was bottled then. Gives some food for thought on bottle and travel shock, huh?

That kind of thing tends to come in waves it seems. You can pop a bottle 2 weeks post bottling and it tastes fine. Two weeks after that it can be in a disjointed place again, and back and forth. It’s very unpredictable.

I just had this wine not too long ago and was impressed! I am hoping to buy another bottle tomorrow and study it a little more thoroughly because it was poured next to a 2007 Mollydooker Enchanted Path which happened to be showing extremely well. Still, I noticed the Justin was doing very well for a wine in its price range. I’m anxious to give it another go!