TN: 04 La Tache with chili

made a big batch of chili which the wife wanted for her birthday. Then she asked for something really good and red. What better chili wine than La Tache? (Chili is made mild for her and the bottle was opened after an early dinner.) No greenness in this bottle, it was a very good but not profound bottle. Pretty color, bouquet of spice and some soy, on the palate it had a great creaminess and smoothness, flavors expanding on the palate and finishing very clean and long, tannins ripe and not at all obtrusive. I’d recommend waiting another 5 or more years for more of the tertiary stuff to happen. The bottle was finished way too quickly, helped along by my now 21 year old daughter–I had to throw myself between her and the bottle to make sure the wife got her share . . .

alan

I can’t decide whether La Tache with chili is a crying shame or a truly Berserkeriffic thing to do.

Oooh, I don’t know about that combo. Borders on sacrilege.

No, sacrilege would be pineapple on pizza. La Tache with chili is just daring - and clearly without any thought about the money.

Guess it depends on the chili. Please don’t tell me it had tomato sauce and beans.

How else can you make chili?

I know a pretty good recipe for trouser chili…and it starts with textured vegetable protein…

I have no doubt.

Hope the wife (and the daughter) enjoyed the pairing. At least there was no asparagus in the chili?

Cheers,
Doug

2 to 4 ancho chiles
4 tablespoons suet
3 pounds grassfed beef chuck, cut in bite-sized pieces
1 to 2 cups beef stock or water
1/3 cup finely chopped garlic
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground oregano
salt
1/2 cup paprika
1 or 2 fresh cilantro sprigs

Trim ancho chili stems and remove seeds. Place in a small saucepan and add water to barely cover. Bring to a boil, remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Transfer the chiles and their soaking water to a blender or a food processor fitted with metal blade. Hit until slightly chopped. Set aside.

Brown half of the meat in a large skillet in the suet over high heat for 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the meat and juices to a heavy pot and add the chopped chilies and juice. Place over low heat and bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, brown the remaining beef in the same manner, then transfer it and the juices to the pot. Add enough stock or water to just cover the meat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.

Add the garlic, onion, cumin, oregano, salt to taste, paprika and cilantro and continue to simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the meat is very tender, another 30 minutes. Add a little liquid if the mixture begins to stick or looks too dry. Ladle into bowls and serve.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

And I’d do perhaps a malbec instead of La Tache. Cold beer would be even better.

Did the 2004 Greenie-Meanies of La Tache pair well with the green peppers in the chili?

the chili was for an early dinner. The wine was opened and enjoyed after dinner. We watched TV and drank it for about 2 hours after dinner. We weren’t washing down habanero chilies with shots of La Tache. My thread title is indeed misleading; I was just kidding around. No sacrilege in the DRC temple.

alan

Watching tv with La Tache? Sacrilege!

but on my knees, head bowed.
alan

I like the '04 DRC lineup a lot actually. I am interested to see how they evolve. No TNs on the chili Alan? [new-here.gif]

Thai chicken curry and a dvd with the RSV tonight Alan?

Way to go Alan. Pleasing the wife is the priority here after all.

Sweet Combo and Note.

I’m having nachos and orange slices with my 61 Latour tonight – I’ll report back on the match.