Broken Laguiole?

Has anyone ever broken a Laguiole in a cork? I have a five or six year old Lagiole (basic) and the screw broke off in a tough cork. I think they are supposed to replace it if it breaks, but cannot remember. I also have no idea where I put the paperwork from it.

Call them, they’ll replace it.

They will fix it free of charge and return it to the address that you specify. They stand by their product, not the person who’s hand its in currently. No need for paperwork, receipts and stuff. Google then first and check out their website, they have a nice section to see if the one you have is legit. I’m not saying its not, but they do make mention to quite a few knock-offs and how to identify them. I know this because I was gifted a very nice looking “Laguiole” from my aunt. It belonged to my uncle who passed away last Christmas. Excited and eager to learn more this special wine tool, I realized that mine is a “fake”. Not bad quality, just not the original. The reason I say check first is cause if you don’t have legit wine tool, they won’t send it back if it is not. Sentimental value, etc could be lost.

aren’t there about 50 producers of Laguiole corkscrews? All of them stand behind their product? Why not return it to the store it was bought from rather than the French maker?
alan

I bought it at Wine Exchange in Orange, CA–not a warm and fuzzy store.

the store is chilly–as it should be–but the people there are great (IMO) and I’d bet they’d replace it.
alan

I spoke to Wine Exchange and they will not do anything without a receipt. I have dropped thousands of bucks there and still no way will they replace it. I doubt that I have saved the receipt as it was about five years ago. All I have is the leather case, the broken worm and the cork that the rest of the worm is embedded in!

Marlene, just remember to write the letter in French. I took the liberty.

Salut!
Veuillez corriger mon sommelier. Vous êtes chanceux je n’avez pas vous facturer le 2005 Mollydooker Blue Eye Garçon Shiraz il a rompu!.

Je vous remercie,
Marlene

[cheers.gif]
Hi! please fix my wine opener. You are lucky I don’t charge you for the 2005 Mollydooker Blue Eye Boy Shiraz it broke off in!.
Thank you
Marlene

Mike, merci beaucoup! Je parle et j’ecrit en francais un petit peu, mais merci pour les mots!
(I do a lot better in Spanish) But I love your English translation spin with the busted Mollydooker!

Translation: I bought one of your cheap-ass corkscrews and the damn thing broke. So how am I going to open my next bottle of crappy 2005 Mollydooker?

JP, I am not sure who “they” are, as you mentioned. I emailed the “contact” on the Laguiole site.Mine is not a fake. It has the copyrighted imprint of Ch. Laguoile and was bought at a reputable retailer for over ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS. It is Winex, (Orange County California), the retailer that I will never go back to.

I posted this message on the ebob chat board and Parker offered to send me a new corkscrew.
That’s customer service!!! But after having spent so much money at Wine Exchange over the years
(and they know me well) I will never go back there. Let this go viral!

Correct - like Sabatier knives. They both created brands before French Intellectual Property laws were formed (so says wiki) so lot’s of companies in Thiers make them.