TN: 2001 Gemstone

• 2001 Gemstone - USA, California, Napa Valley, Yountville (5/2/2009)
    I had forgotten that 18 months ago I had decided to hold this for 3+ years. That shows how tough it can be to make such predictions because this wine is rocking and rolling right now. It is wonderfully balanced, walking the tight rope between lush, extracted fruit while still supported by a smokey, secondary complexity. Kind of the best of both worlds: Mouth coating, but not heavy. Earthy, but not rustic. Extremely long finish with tannins fully integrated.

Gemstone is a list that I allowed myself to drop. When the wines were released, I found them cloying, but if this is how they can be at age 8, I need to rethink my decision to not buy. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Randy, I feel exactly the same. I was not quite enamored with the wine upon release and dropped off after a couple of years, and now I find their wines extremely enjoyable.

Thanks for the TN. I have a 2002 and I couldn’t find a drinking window for it. I guess it is next year.

I splurged on an '02 two years ago, cracked it, and it was pretty spectacular then. I’m sure it has the distance and you will truly enjoy that wine in the next 2 -3 years.

Enjoy.

This is an interesting brand. I enjoyed the 01 and 02 (as well as a few older bottles), beyond that the quality has been up and down, even down in great vintage years. Sometimes I actually liked the Facets much better than the primary Gemstone label.
The Frank’s sold ‘Gemstone’ and ‘Facets of Gemstone’ brands (including inventory and the 17-acre Gemstone Vineyard) to Carole and Michael Marks. I was shocked to see Paul Frank out front pouring last March and they seem to be actually making a comeback as the wines seemed back on track. Hopefully the Marks can bring it into a consistent level of quality. Such a great vineyard and nice people.

BTW, I got a hellova deal on some 2005 Facets recently. Hellova. I know others have too.