TN: 1999 Mayacamas Vineyards Chardonnay (USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder)

Ok French…you did ok…you did ok!! I was a little worried at first…the cork was a little crumbly upon opening, and I thought this might be ox-ed…but you are spot on with your recommendation! Great wine here!

• 1999 Mayacamas Vineyards Chardonnay - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (12/7/2010)
    Darker golden metallic, slight green tinge, color. Nose of fresh green olive oil(really!), ripe pineapple/apples, honey spice, little sherry. In the mouth, as well as the nose, it starts out showing its age…little oxidative, ripe fruit, golden honey tones. But in a few sips, you get this HUGE laser beam of citrus acidity attacking the palate, making the wine crisp and alive! Big spice kick, like the added citrus acid to a lemon head. Really shows nice aged complexities of caramel, bananas foster, grilled pineapples…all uplifted well with that killer tart lemon acidity, and minerals galor. Never would you guess domestic in a blind. Burgundy all the way! Great Chard at age 11…with plenty of life left. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker on GrapeStories.com

Thanks to you, and BPwines, for the great deal!

that’s a helluva tasting note, brian; good job! [cheers.gif]

love it

got a mixer of 01 & 99; thinking about re-upping.

See??

Old Vine Chardonnay. Wow.

I’ll be tasting the 07 (no derogatory comments please) on Friday.

its good; had it at the winery a few weeks back. obviously a bit young but you can see the similarities to previous vintages.

You guys are killing me and my credit card – just went in for a mixed case of 1998-1999-2001; cannot wait to try it out.

How much for the three year verticals?

See the Berserker Exclusive I posted - they might be gone, not sure.

The promotion is still active for 12 bottle purchases, $20.99 per bottle, and cheap ground shipping per case ($9). Just purchased yesterday, December 7.

I’m also thinking about more…anyone have the 2002? One of the alltime Vintages for Cali Chard.

Just popped first bottle. Oxidized and undrinkable. Bummer.

D’oh!

Still going strong 2 days later. Even had it next to a '05 Meursault, and it held its own, with more aged character and lots of acidity left.

Chris - Your bottle was from the same stash from the Winery? So, your thought was that bottle was way more advanced than a 11 year old chard should be? Did it change at all?

I’ve got two of these 1999s set aside for a dinner party Saturday night, one as a backup in case the first one is off. I’ll report back on this thread next week.

It was absolutely dead. No nuance, just harsh and oxidized. I had a second bottle last noc and that tasted like very mature chardonnay on the downslide but it still was an interesting wine. They were both from the bpwine deal and this 2nd btl was nothing like the first. Crazy price so if nothing else its a fun experiment to blow through them over a short time period and taste for bottle variation

Popped a 99 last last. Just as others have described—acid and citrus with strong pineapple tones. Loved it. Thanks Todd!

• 1999 Mayacamas Vineyards Chardonnay - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (1/13/2011)
    Bottle #3 of the case…crushed rocks, drizzled with caramel sauce, spritzed with fresh lemon juice, sprinkle of hazelnut. Another killer bottle…the only difference is the cork crumbled. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

New arrival In PA, Mayacamas Chardonnay Library Selection Gift Pack containing 1 each of 97, 98 and 99 vintages at $89.99 + sales tax (which varies depending on municipality store is located-for me 6%). Fair amount on hand at various locations as well central PLCB ship point. PA will not ship out of state, but will ship to state store of your choice within PA. May have to buy one based on notes above and favorable comments in CT on 97 vintage.

just offered by garagiste for $23 a pop.