TNs: '05 Pipeau, Fombrauge, La Tour Carnet, Pontet Canet

2005 Chateau Pipeau: Dark purple in the glass with a very reserved nose. On the palate, pretty much a mono-dimensional wine with some fruit that is overpowered by tannin and oak. There is a very off putting streak of green and herbaceous bitterness that runs right through the middle of this. Would not buy anymore.

2005 Chateau La Tour Carnet: Very dark purple to almost black in the glass. Very nice floral nose with some incense and spice. Palate is very rich with blueberries, cassis and mocha. Tannin and oak are there aplenty, but not overpowering. In the $30 a bottle range, this is a very good drink, and I feel like it will be very good in five years or so.

2005 Chateau Fombrauge: Lighter in color than the previous two bottles, but still inky. Nose is wonderful mix of chocolate cake and rasberries. Very precise palate of concentrated mocha, dark fruits, smoke and vanilla. The oak treatment appears to be less than the Pipeau and La Tour Carnet as it is very integrated and supple at this stage. For an early drinker from '05, this is a sleeper of the vintage. I think RMP severely underrated this producer. Nothing but upside to this bottle and for sub $40, you cannot go wrong.

2005 Pontet Canet: What to say? It is still a blockbuster and massive wine. Almost black in the glass with a nose of graphite, espresso and dark fruit. Tannin is still there as is the “lick the barrel” oak treatment, but it isn’t obtrusive…at least to me. Would be better if it were decanted about 12 hours, but we were into instant gratification, so it was pop and pour.

Baby killer . . .

Data points!

PC is one of the top 12 wines of the vintage . . . balls that is all.

Top 5, minimum.

Pepsi rules.

Drink more . . .

Pepsi sucks

Um…I had more than I care to have of the '05’s, between tastings at wine retailers and UGC, faux-hawk…

Uh . . . your sword is bigger?

Great notes Bill. Love the 05 La Tour Carnet.

I’m usually the one to nail him on this point!

05 PC is a tremendous wine with the same potential. I had one and put the rest away for a deep, long sleep. I would love to open more, but the thoughts of what it will be like 20 years from now is haunting. I’ll have to fill the time with Bill’s fav - 01 Pavie!

Chris

Ouch, disappointing read on the Pipeau. I bought a few bottles at Costco, so not much coin, based on the CT TNs, but I haven’t opened any yet. Hmmm, Saxon likes Bordeaux. [diablo.gif]