2007 Phelps Insignia

Worth the price of admission? Anyone tasted this or Bought any?

While I am sure this is a very good wine, I suspect the price has not been established yet. There are over 10K cases produced. Everyone and their cousin has this “on sale”. I predict more discounting to come.

I really like it. It is not a typical fruit-forward type of Ca Cab. It is refined and very complex. I had it along side 2006 and 2007 is in a different league. I think it is worth the $155 I paid, if the price comes down, I will buy more.

I am a member of one of the many Phelps wine clubs and got mine at the club price of $140.00 I’ve also seen it advertised for that amount also. Just for informational purposes!

I saw maybe it was 2006 vintage Insignia at Costco for $119, I may be wrong and it possibly was 2007 … not positive.

I’ve had it, bought a few, and will say with confidence it’s the best since 97. If you can get a good price, it’s worth it. Not to mention that when mr. P gives it 98 or 99 or dare I say 100 in the next few weeks you could always dump it on some poor sap like me. Although I’ll only give you what you paid for it. [cheers.gif]

Costco is currently pedaling the 06. I doubt you’ll see the 07 there any time soon, if at all.

We have 07 Insignia at our Costco, but it’s $175 I think.

I had this one recently and let me say it’s tight as nails. It has a huge amount of potential though so I’m glad I sprung for a case. If you can find this for $150 or less, I’d say buy, buy, buy. While you might not truly appreciate this for another 5-7yrs, I think you’ll find this to be one of the better Insignias produced in the last decade or more.

Rob,

High praise comparing it to 1997. Do you feel it is even better than 2002? 1994 is still my top Insignia in the past 20 years.

Roy,

I’ve only had a glass or two of the 02 and not an entire bottle but I do think the 07 may turn out to be the better wine. I’ve got a few of both vintages so eventually i’ll be able to tell you the real answer. :slight_smile:

Interestingly enough, I look at my cellar tracker notes and I rated both the 94 and 97 the same at 97 points. Seems that the 94 is a little under the radar. Maybe I should try to find some more of those.

Bought 3 at $150
I havent tried it but I have liked '97, 99, 01, 02, 04, 05, and 06, the chances of not liking 07 are slim to none and if Parker comes long and gives it a 98-100 I wont be able to get it cheaper, so it seemed like a no-brainer at 150.

The Insignia bicycle! neener

you finally made it over here…about F’en time…

see ya in Vegas :slight_smile:

Given the track record of Insignia and a perfect growing season, I would suspect this wine will meet or exceed expectations. I have not tried this vintage. But when they do make a good wine, it’s a great wine…1997 case in point.

I prefer 1994 to 1997, but adore the latter vintage as well. The 1994 seems to have greater concentration and a bit more structure. It was about $59 when I first bought it and the 1997 was initially sold @ $79 at Premier Cru back in the day. It will be interesting to see which has the better staying power. I plan to open a 3L of the 1994 in 2017 when it should be finally read to drink. [wow.gif]
I opened a mag of it about 5 years ago and it still seemed quite young.

Insignia is made in very large quantities. They perform quite nicely in large formats.

At the Costco here for $150.00

That was pretty muchmy train of thought as well.

In for three @ $150…debating another 3…