Varietals, I love the varietal more than region

Once again I’m at a tasting and the debate of Calif Cabs vs Bordeaux comes up. Spreads into New World Pinot vs Burgundy. These discussions are always interesting but don’t strike a chord with me. Maybe I’m alone in this so ask for comments.

I love the VARIETAL. For example, syrah. I can talk about the merits of Hermitage vs Cote Rotie vs Barossa vs Calif Central coast. But I’m not inclined to compare them as one being better than the other. Hermitage for silky syrah, Cote Rotie for laser like purity/minerals, barossa for big fruit, calif for fruit with good structure. Each a different expression of the same grape. I love them all at the right time.

So I will easily argue Syrah is better than Cab or Merlot. But not that Syrah from X is superior to Syrah from Y.

So how is it that people who love cabernet/merlot will put down Calif or Bordeaux in favor of the other. Aren’t both just different expressions of the same grape, each to be enjoyed for what they are?

or am I the only one who loves varietals, independent of location, and don’t see it as pinot vs burgundy but rather see it as syrah vs cabernet??

Its not a competition.
Its what goes best with your dinner.
One question; lots of different answers.
Best, Jim

Aren’t both just different expressions of the same grape, each to be enjoyed for what they are?

For me, the operative word here is “expressions” rather than “grape”. I personally go for expressions, not grapes.

For example, at the risk of offending some, while I do like some Napa cab blends (e.g., generally Dominus and Mondavi Cab Sauv Reserves), especially for grilled rib-eyes, I much prefer Bordeaux. While I do enjoy a few Cali/Oregon pinot noirs (e.g., Soter), I don’t buy any but always buy red Burgs. While I’ve tried a couple of Australian Shiraz wines I liked (i.e., '93 Henschke Mt. Edelstone and 1991 Grange), I’d never buy any myself, but enjoy good Northern Rhônes.

But that’s just me.

Always an interesting topic. Jim makes sense, as does LMD above. (although I can understand his liking of Opus and Mondavi, having a terrific Euroheavy preference, as revealed in other threads).

I believe it’s the expression of the variety that I love the most. I know and have tasted Cabs from every corner of the globe and nowhere else has it the qualities I seek as in California. Some come close, but theres always something just not quite right.

Gooo fo me right? [gen_fro.gif]

Totally subjective and there is no wrong or right answers.

I think it is a very good point, Jeff, but I find it interesting that many do not follow varietals as you’d expect. Our own M&M, for example, is a Syrah freak, but ONLY French Syrah, and only Rhone. Others, like Landreth, seem to like all iterations of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon - same with me, and for different reasons.

I think that most will fall into the camp of ‘some’ when it comes to your points. For example, I love Chardonnay from Champagne and Chablis, but not (typically) CA because of the way it is made - so much new oak. I enjoyed it from WA because they use more neutral oak or none at all - that works for me. I would say, however, that since I like it from most regions that produce it, I like the grape.

Better? No. Different? Yes. I definitely have preferences to particular varieties of grapes. And more often than not, will also have preferences to where it’s grown. However, I see these as preferences of mine, not an indicator of which region produces the better product.

I think a potential false belief here is that there can onle be one expression of a grape - that ALL Cab ought to taste like one from the Medoc or Oakville or [fill-in-the-blank]. They don’t, they won’t, and who are we to define what’s “authentic” anyway.

Of course, this isn’t to say that some expressions of a particular grape can be horrid. [cheers.gif]

I totally agree, but you obviously have never been at one of the Santa Fe tastings. [help.gif] They can be heated and almost come to blows over “burgundy is infinitely better than pinot” and “bordeaux is superior to Calif cab”. For some it is always that way, end of story, how dare anyone even suggest it might be otherwise. [blackeye.gif]

Then we do blind tastings and challenge people’s preconceptions. Which works fine, until they are unveiled and get “rescored” as “it will age better and show better in 5 years” type nonsense.
[bye2.gif]

I knew there was something wrong with you guys [berserker.gif] [bye2.gif] [whistle2.gif]