Reynvaan 2009 offerings

Looking at the Reynvaan futures offering, I see they have a new bottling for 2009 called Stonessence Syrah. It appears to be the new flagship wine (or at least it’s the most expensive). I wasn’t able to make it over to Walla Walla for fall release, where I presume these could be tasted. Did anyone get a chance to taste it? If so, how did it compare to the other bottlings? Any info or notes on any of the 2009 syrahs would be greatly appreciated!

Hadn’t even seen the release offering, was it in an email?

Didn’t make it to W2 this time, bummed.

Scott, I don’t remember an email, but it is posted on their website. …and agreed, would have loved to have been there.

PDF link:
http://www.reynvaanfamilyvineyards.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/2009-FUTURES-WINE-ORDER-FORM_V10.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was there in late Sept, and there was no mention of this wine in a 2 plus hour visit. they were pouring 2008’s which were released a month later, and 2007’s for comparison. I wouldn’t expect them to pour 2009’s until next year as I suspect they aren’t bottled yet. They seem pretty responsive to email, so I’d send them a request for more info, or call.

I was there for the weekend and tried the 08’s, the Contender would be the only one I would seek out,others were not my cup of tea.No 09 samples to be had for our crew.On a side note tasted with Ryan Crane of Kerloo, great wines and such passion.It warms my heart to know the future of Wa. wines are in such capable hands, with guys like Ryan and Greg Harrington of Gramercy.

I ordered all three Syrahs off their mailing list and had them hold them for a spring visit, StoryTeller had them available, so I bought another 6 @ case discount with 6 other wines and saved on the shipping. I saved so much I am going bust! [cheers.gif] Who needs Cayuse?

I tasted through the '08s back at Spring Release. It was shortly after bottling IIRC and I remember thinking they had the familiar nose, but the palate was really lacking, to the point of my questioning if I had a cold or had shot my palate the day before. I do not believe there was anything wrong with them, I think it was a combination of the recent bottling and my palate that day, so based on my like of the '07s I took a flyer on each of the three Syrah.

I do agree with The Contender being the standout in the group though…

The o8’s are less impressive than the 07’s, but who’s aren’t? The 07’s have deepened and improved with a year in the bottle, and I think the 08’s will as well. I agree that the 08 Contender is the winner, whereas in 07, it’s the In the Rocks.

They had barrel samples of the '09s at Fall Release Weekend.

The '09 Stonessence is 100% Syrah. Comparing to their other wines, which are co-fermented with varying amounts of white wine (Viognier, Roussanne, etc), it is a meatier, bigger wine. While I would say their co-fermented wines have floral notes and some feminine qualities, the Stoneessence is more masculine and earthy. All 4 of the '09s were delicious, and I’m planning on getting 3-4 of each.

Agreed on the note on Ryan Crane at Kerloo. We did some barrel sampling when we were there, and his club-only stuff coming out next fall will be awesome, along with his Syrahs and Tempranillo are delicious.

Good info, John. Thanks!

Love to hear any other people’s impression of the barrel samples…

Opened an '08 In The Rocks last night. My first Reynvaan. Popped and poured. I found this to be more Northern Rhone styled. The mouthfeel is lacking. Really smoky with black olives, acacia. I was frankly disappointed in this wine and maybe just not my style.

My delivery of 07 and 08should be delivered innext week or so. I will pop a few to see if about 09. I bought a sampling of the last two vintageson recommendations. Nowi will jump in and try

Reynvaan wins for the weirdest/worst shipping materials for 2008 delivery. Flimsy plastic trays. Luckily bottles were in tact but box was in tatters.

Actually, I liked it–once empty you can stack the plastic trays into a compact pile about three inches high and recycle them or whatever. No huge stack of immortal styrofoam to deal with.

Pulled an '07 In the Rocks to try over the long weekend, been over a year since I’ve had any. Will post some TN’s when I get into it.

I’m expecting good things from the '09 vintage, and hopefully will be tasting the '09s in April/May, Angela said they would be pouring them.

Tasted this Sunday in a sort of “best of Washington Syrah” tasting.

Smoke, sweet boysenberry/dried cherry fruit in a Walla Walla sort of way (that creamed corn kind of sweetness that Walla Walla grapes have), herbs, elephant poop (yeah, that’s what I wrote down).

I have liked this wine quite a bit. Didn’t like it quite as much Sunday, but it may have been the company (Betz Patriarche, Cayuse Bionic Frog, DeLille’s top Syrah, Charles Smith Royal City, Guigal La Mouline, Chapoutier La Mordoree, plus a few others).

John, Thanks for the notes. I am still learning about wine and maybe you can help me understand this one. I love big, fruit bomb syrahs with mouthfilling, glycerin, complexity. I just don’t understand this one. To me the mid palate is hollow for lack of a better descriptor. It has no glycerin feel to it at all. It is rough and edgy. To me it is not that much fun to drink. Like I said before, maybe these just aren’t for me.

Leonard–I was writing about the 2007 and you were talking about the 2008, which is not as good and is too young. I think the 2008 will fill out over the next year or two, but I don’t know that it will ever be as good. For 2008’s the contender is better. Also remember these vines were only 3-4 years old.

I generally don’t buy red wine to drink young, even in Washington. for most any washington red I’m thinking 5-10 years out, and for Cote Rotie (Jamet is the only one I buy) more 10 years and on. I also should probably disclose that I’m not that much of a syrah drinker.

Also fruit bomb and complexity are almost mutually exclusive, so I would advise focusing on the ones that give you a complexity that’s pleasing. If you’ve got the money and can find them, try Betz, Cayuse, Delille Doyene. Gramercy, Efeste would be a little more affordable ones that are good. The Rasa QED was also pretty good. I’ll try to post my notes on the tasting if there is time over the holiday.

Thanks John. I still don’t understand the scores the '08 received. But I will try to sit these out for a while. I appreciate your reply. BTW, I love WA syrah and I really love Cayuse. I will seek out the others.

Cheers.