When rejected wines are fine

When you see the wanna be wine snob reject a bottle, I’ve never considered asking the sommelier to allow me the chance to try it.

I have recommended, on more than one occassion when some of my friends ITB ask what to do with a perfectly good wine that was rejected, that the restaurant just pour the bottle by the glass as that night’s “special”. And I wish more restaurants, when a bottle is INCORRECTLY refused (i.e. not flawed but someone stupidly declared it unfit) did this. Imagine the excitement of being in a restaurant, striking up a conversation with the sommelier and have him mention, once realizing you are a true wine lover, “hey, we’re pouring the 1981 Penfold’s Grange by the glass for tonight only for $25, can I interest you in a bit?”.

Man I’d be at the restaurant a lot, not only because obviously they have some stuff on the list I’d like, but the chance at the lottery. To get that one glass of DRC, that one glass of something you’d never be able to buy by the bottle, and is only sold that way everywhere… your dream glass now in a one glass portion that you can afford.

Anyone else have this feeling of turning a bad situation (they rejected the La Turque) into a great win “sir, that’s fine, we’ll get you a glass of the Yellow Tail.” The sommelier then turns around, hands the great bottle to someone on the staff with a “psssst put this behind the bar, we’re pouring it by the glass for the first time!”

I never really thought about this, but assuming the bottle is fine, I’d love to see this happen.

Is it acceptable to reject a wine that is not flawed?

jason - no. But there are idiots all over.

I think that’s a great idea and I’d be there a bunch if I knew about it. However, I wonder how many times per week that happens? Any restaurant folk want to chime in with stories?

I think I’ve accepted flawed wines more often than the other way around. This happnes especially when I order a wine I’ve never had. The wine smells/tastes ok, yet the fruit is rather soft. The wine is flawed since it is a touch corked, but since no overt smell/taste, and I’ve never had the wine before to compare, I accept the bottle.

Otto

Jason, no. If it is flawed, it gets rejected. If you just don’t like it… well you bought it, it’s yours. Now if the sommelier/waiter pushed it on you, “promising” you’d like it, then you can have a discussion. But the rule is if flawed, reject; if otherwise, drink up.

When in doubt I’ve asked for the glass to sit a few minutes. TCA gets worse with air so when it is questionable, I just let the tasting pour sit. I don’t start drinking or pouring more, rather want some time to think, maybe clear my palate with some bread/water and taste/smell again.

I’ve recommended it to restaurants, and now and again see them do it, but I don’t know anywhere that it is standard practice. But it should be.