TN: 2005 J. Rochioli Pinot Noir Estate Grown Russian River Valley

• 2005 J. Rochioli Pinot Noir Estate Grown Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/7/2010)
    Opened & poured. Pretty semi translucent color. A fresh floral nose of sweet fruit. Very well made, showing excellent purity and balance. Spicey black respberry flavors. Maybe a hint of cola but not overbearing. Terrific weight and vibrance. Whats missing for me… minerality and damp forest floor aroma notes you often find with a Burg. I like this and wouldn’t bother with the single vineyard cuvees at a much higher price nore, the mailing list hasstle. I sold off about 18 blts of the single vineyards a couple years ago. Paid $42 for these and can be found easily at retail. One more left and I’ll wait a few. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Bought a 6-pack from the winery and have a few left. Wine still getting better and I paid near $50/btl on Westside Rd.

I’m mostly a 3 btl buyer and that what I did here. One blt early on, one now and one for down the road if I choose to wait it out. I did fall in love with the 04 Il Poggione BDM and went back for 3 mroe btls to make 7 total. Rare for me.

Have you had the 07 yet? Interested to here a drinking window or comparison for that. I have to admit, some of the mid-90s Rochoilis made me understand/appreciate Pinot in a way I hadn’t before then so I have a soft spot for them even if I’ve migrated a bit since then.

I’ve pretty much fallen off the Rochioli bandwagon but I wouldn’t hesitate to try an occassional btl of the estate wine. Have not had anything since the 05.

I think the 05 is going to make for longer aging than the 07. I find that the Rochioli Estate PN is a better value as time goes on – the pricing has held the line pretty solidly, and it’s not quite as high up the ladder in terms of price anymore. I’m going to drink the 06 and 08 before 05 and 07 … probably start looking at 06 next year. Maybe even the 08. The 07 is quite fleshy, in accordance with the vintage, but I think it needs until 2012-2013.

Here’s an update on this wine.

• 2005 J. Rochioli Pinot Noir Estate Grown Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (4/9/2014)
    There’s no need to cellar this any longer; it’s mature and ready to go. Feminine in nature, this wine displays delicate notes of strawberries, rose petals, hibiscus, rhubarb, and crushed shells. Touches of forest floor and suede. Lithe and effortless on the palate, with the only knock being the slightly faded and washed out finish. Refined acidity. The somm at Faith & Flower said that, blind, he would have guessed it was red Burgundy. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I really like the Castalia Bottlings. Some younger vines but I was able to find many bottles between $18-32 over the last few years. Drinking up my 2002’s now.