TN: 2006 Bott-Geyl Les Pinots d'Alsace Metiss (France, Alsa

• 2006 Bott-Geyl Les Pinots d’Alsace Metiss - France, Alsace, Alsace AOC (4/27/2009)
    Traci opened a bottle of this while cooking last night. Had one glass over 20 minutes or so. Terrific wine and drank much better than it’s price point which was about $15, IIRC. Nose was grapefruit, orange blossom, and roasted almonds. The palate is very crisp and lively but with nice depth showing more grapefruit, lime skin, honey, orange blossom and a little chalky limestone on the back end. Definitely worth searching out to accompany some lighter fare as we head into summer. (90 pts.)

Thanks for the note, Tony. I’ve enjoyed Bott-Geyl’s inexpensive Rieslings, but I’ve never tried their blends. Do you know what’s in this one?

Melissa - it really is a terrific little wine.

Here’s the notes from Beaune Imports website:

A blend of the four different “Pinots” (33% Auxerrois, 33% Blanc, 17% Gris & 17% Noir), this exciting wine shows good ripeness and depth while still maintaining a fresh, bracing minerality that backs up the aromatics. All cépages are vinified together and the result is a natural marriage of grapes that when produced separately provide very different results.

Interesting mix! It’s white, though? No skins?

It is white .

Thanks for the extra info–I like that they are cofermented–Pinot Noir in here too? Interesting …

I’ve heard good things about Bott-Geyl :slight_smile:

I had some of this for cocktails at an IWFS Alsace Dinner I helped organize. My notes (21 August 2008) were:

2005 Bott-Geyl Les Pinots d’Alsace Metiss > - As I understand from Jérome (who is Bott-Geyl’s authorized distributor for the Philippines), this is a blend of pinot blanc, pinot noir, pinot gris and auxerrois (not to be confused with the auxerrois of Cahors which is what they call the malbec grape there).

A fresh, mild, charming, simple and straightforward wine exhibiting mild and ripe, user-friendly yet difficult-to-describe soft, pillowy fruity flavors with light touches of tropical sweetish-ripeness, faint hints of flowers and spice and underlying nuances of almonds. Cool and supple in the mouth, it is very easy to drink.

It went very nicely with the terrine of foie gras en croute…

If you like gewürz, I can recommend Bott-Geyl’s 2006 Gewürztraminer Les Elements highly. Excellent value and performance for a basic gewürz.