TN: 2004 VT La Crau Blanc; 2005 Kapcsandy Robertas Reserve

Two of the wines enjoyed during the Super Bowl:

2004 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Crau (France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape)
Popped and poured, enjoyed over an hour. Beautifully inviting nose, well balanced, acidic, citrusy, zesty, rich, oily. Paired well with the lobster, the sweetness of the lobster enhanced by the minerality of the wine.

2005 Kapcsandy Family Winery Roberta’s Reserve State Lane Vineyard (USA, California, Napa Valley, Yountville)
Decanted overnight, consumed over 3 hours during the Super Bowl. Unbelievably rich and expressive nose, fruit, chocolate, leather and earth. Smooth and supple, the sweetness of the merlot balanced perfectly by the leather and earth of the cab franc. A truly delicious wine that paired wonderfully with the steak.

Living large Brian. Lobster and the Super Bowl. I know where I’m going next year. :sunglasses:

Cris,

Insane party…several red burgundys, a couple of CA cabs, these two wines…

The whites with the lobster were the Rhone I brought, a 2005 Kistler Kistler Chard, a 2000 Vincent Girardin Bâtard-Montrachet and a 2004 Vincent Girardin Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières,

I’ve not had the 2004s recently, but am pleasantly surprised at the 4+ year mark that they are still open. A bit, but not much, longer lived than I expected in their first phase. Often it is 3 years from vintage and then ignore until they are 10+ years old. Thanks for the note.

The Kapcsandy does not suck…

I had a bottle a couple of months ago, pop and pour. Massive wine.

Bill,

I’ve had quite a few from 2003, 2004 and this one, and they’ve all been really good…

Big fan since the first bottle of '04 State Lane that I had. Been trading in the secondary market for quite a few of all their offerings.