Is Parker a(

So…I don’t like bringing this up, b/c Parker bashing has been at a minimum, so I hope to keep this more academic.

The latest Hedonist’s Gazette has notes on 2 prolific wines, 82 Krug and 95 Coche Corton. He basically thinks that for his palate, the wines are getting old and they should be drunk up (will post the exact notes with permission, subscribers, if you are out there, should read).

He basically said the 82 Krug was bubbly, but oxidizy and ‘too old’.
He said the Coche reminded him more of a Cali wine than Burg, and should be drunk up.

Seems as though Bob really isn’t fond of wines that lose their primary character, no?

That’s true of most Coche-Durys I’ve had…
And didn’t he once say that an Aubert or something of that ilk was a dead-ringer for a Coche-Dury? I remember saying at the time that that says more about Coche than it does about Aubert!

curious which coche corton-charlemagnes you’ve had that reminded you of California wines. I’ve had pretty much every vintage from 1992 to 2004 at least once and nothing even comes close to California.

and that statement was widely ridiculed when it was published. as with most of Parker’s like statements, they’re made in order to incite debate – troll, if you will.

i think most wine lovers’ “mature” would equate to Parker’s “too old.”

While I have little experience with Coche at the higher levels, bottles of the more modest stuff (Bourgogne and Meursault) do not remind me in any way of California chard nor did bottles of 1999 Bourgogne or1994 Meursault consumed in recent months seem remotely over the hill. But I generally do not drink very young wines nor do I drink much California wine of any sort.

And Jay Miller might say ‘drink now thru 2050’.

As Parker’s palate ages, more and more he seeks forward ripe fruit. As that component wanes, his enthusiasm drops.

parker is welcome to ship me all the 82 krug and 95 coche-dury he would like. silly boy.

i cannot be happier that parker’s palate has shifted to the younger, more hedonistic wines. all that means is the market price for the wines I enjoy comes down.

i hope parker never retires.

[thankyou.gif]

I’m at least as happy with Coche at the more modest levels, which has nothing Californian about it at all. In fact I think given a great grower(not a given at all)village wines often suit my palate better than 1ers and GCs as the latter tend too often to a richness that I rather dislike in dry white wines.

Do you have a top-five or ten list for us to explore, Tom? (Not vintage specific, just a grower/village combo that you generally like) thanks!

I don’t know. He tags an awful lot of wines with 30 - 50 year windows including new world stuff.

What’s up with the subject of this thread? Is there some code I’m missing?

I think it was too long. I forget exactly what I wrote, but the inference was does he like to drink his wines sooner than the rest of us, and is his palate going to complete infanticide.

FWIW, My only bad experience with Coche was and 03 Enseigneres. It DID taste like Cali wine, but I blame the vintage, not JF.

I just had the opportunity to read the Hedonist Gazette article. Parker hardly bashed the Coche…he said it was the greatest white Burgundy he had tasted in 8-10 years and gave it 98 points. He did say that this vintage was atypical of Coche, and reminded him of a California Chardonnay and that was why he was recommending drinking this wine soon.

having shit tastes and being delusional are not mutually exclusive.

ahhh…context! thanks.

so i amend my previous post; having shit tastes AND being delusional AND getting it right sometimes are not exclusive of one another. neener

I am happy when any taster checks in on a wine as it evolves and posts their comments.
Mostly because I purchase > 50% of my holdings via auction, estate sales and library selections for older wines vs. new releases.

There is a paucity of ratings and tasting notes for most wines after the 1st publications from many critics.

The release notes, barrel tastings and initial reviews might be a valid reason to purchase something, but often offer little or no help when you have a “keeper” and want to check in on it.

Citing a 10-20 year old review seems to be a silly way to recommend buying that very same wine today.

Exceptions are retrospectives (wish WS/WA et. al. would do more), and re-reveiws of the big names.

I think that is why I end up scouring the boards here and on CT and trying to figure out who’s taste/palete and wine experience might help me pull the trigger on drinking or buying. It’s helped me so far!

Yeah, Parker bashing is down, which is fine with me. Although I don’t mind it and will indulge in it myself if it seems warranted (why not?), it seems to really upset some people around here.

Bob always said he likes 'em young.

I just don’t want to start deadhorse . Not worth anyone’s time.

It’s not that he bashed it, I just find it unbelievably difficult to believe that 95 Coche Corton is at the tail end of it’s better days (which is what he is implying). I’m not the biggest Coche drinker in the world by any means, but I think most Burg nuts would say this wine may just be entering it’s drinking window, as opposed to leaving it. My reason for bringing this up was it seems like he is really pushing that sooner drinking window. Also, as others have pointed out, he usually goes notoriously long on drinking windows.

I can better speak to his 82 Krug review, as I have had the good fortune of drinking this a few times. It’s sublime, and aging beautifully.

I think Laube is guilty of this as well.