TN: 2001 Smith Haut Lafitte

This wine has been a crowd-pleaser each time I’ve had it and this bottle was the same.
Great mouth feel due to nice concentration, a decent sense of Graves (the smokey, tobacco, graphite descriptors) and a nice finish.

This bottle showed a bit more sweet fruit than I prefer and could have shown more of the earthy character that Graves can show but I am quibbling. It’s quite a pleasurable drink. It may get better (ie. show more character) with time.

As far as I can tell this wine is going for $45 - $55 per bottle - hardly cheap - but it may qualify as a decent QPR Bordeaux. If you’ve had it I’d be interested in your thoughts.

Pat

I have had both this and the 2003 SHL in the past six months, and I think they both represent very good value for medium age BDX. Can appeal to both CA and BDX fans alike.

Always thought of SHL as a pretty, crowd-pleasing glass. Not great as it lacks certain depths, but a very nice QPR when it comes to Bordeaux.

I had one on wed and it was the last of a 6 pack. it was the best bottle so far. I think it has 10+ years left of great drinking.

I’ve enjoyed the Pessac-Leognan (Graves-style) Smith Haut Lafite over multiple years. The 1998 was a relative bargain and is still drinking nicely. In good Graves years I had split up my purchases between modest purchases of La Mission HB, Haut Brion, and “casual drinking” of Domaine de Chevalier and SHL.

It can be nice to check in on the SHL early and wait for the big boys like La Mission and Haut Brion to mature or match the right occassion.

I haven’t bought any 05 or 06’s or 07’s once prices creeped up as I get older ones as cheap or cheaper at auction or pull one of my old ones I got for ~ $25.

I agree that it will go on for a while and likely get better.
It feels odd suggesting that a $50 btl is a good QPR so I’m glad you-all seem to agree.

pat

No odder than me suggesting that $120 for 2001 Pavie is a good QPR.

I agree that the 2001 SHL is a terrific bottle - classic bordeaux flavors and textures. An outstanding QPR at the $32 en primeur price and agree it is still a decent value at $50.

I opened a bottle from a case purchased en primeur last night and loved it. It’s in a great place. Superb fruit, great balance, very graves on the nose, excellent depth, lots to like here. Leans on the modern side of the spectrum in terms of oak treatment and sweetness of fruit, but its firmly Bordeaux, not California, and not over the top. It’s aged beautifully and is still very youthful, although it’s displaying good secondary notes. A good long life ahead although very enjoyable now if you have a stash.

Hey Greg,

Thanks much. I have a few of these.

Had the 2001 SHL a few years ago and it was great then, I’m sure it is even better now. Classic style. One of the better aged bordeaux price-wise compared to others.

Probably the first bottle that truly got me excited about Bordeaux…i was haunted by the crushed rock and earthy profile