TN: 2006 Dönnhoff Kreuznacher Krötenpfuhl Riesling Spätlese

• 2006 Dönnhoff Kreuznacher Krötenpfuhl Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe (4/23/2009)
    Soft fruit and petrol on the nose. Very lush, diesel-driven, and unctuous on the palate. Far more fat than its sibling, the '06 Norheimer Kirschheck Spaetlese. Finishes well, but it lacks the acid and excitement factor that I got from the Norheimer Kirschheck. Still very enjoyable.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. That sounds more evolved than I’d expect for such a young Dönnhoff. Was the Norheimer Kirschheck from the same vintage?

Melissa.

The KH was indeed from 06 as well. One thing to note about the 06 is that it’s a really fat vintage, at least compared to 05 and especially 07. Naturally, the acid is lower in 06, and the Krotenpfuhl shows the vintage far more than the Kirschheck. Like I said…still good, but it’s not nearly as exciting as the KH which I thought was really fantastic.

Steffen, thanks for the clarification. I was thinking more of the petrol you described than the fatness when I said it sounded evolved. Do you have any thoughts on how the '06s compare to the '03s? I have not tasted many 06 Rieslings yet, but the fat '03s have been the only recent vintage from Germany that I have not really enjoyed.

Thanks again.

Melissa. My limites sampling leads me to believe that 06 is much fatter than 05 and 07, but not nearly as fat as 03. Like I said. Based on a very limited sample.

SP