TN's- Melville, KB, Linne Calodo, Ancient Peaks & Dutton Est

Enjoyed these over the past weekend and hope some of you have /will be able to as well. Cheers.

• 2007 Melville Syrah Estate Verna’s - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (4/20/2009)
    Mellvile Verna’s Syrah is always a nice QPR, (as is their Viognier) and after enjoying the '06, I was looking forward to trying the '07. The aromas of dark berries and white pepper come out in this fine cool climate Syrah. Full fruit on the palate, along with spices and a nice acid balance out the wine. Another strong showing from this leader in the Central Coast. (90 pts.)
  • 2006 Ancient Peaks Zinfandel - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (4/19/2009)
    Fourth bottle of this wine and will be looking forward to the next release. One of the best $16 wines I have had, and the limited time in the bottle has hrlped to soften some of the "harder"edges of the wine. The fruit and spice/pepper has integrated to give a nice well rounded Zinfandel. (92 pts.)
  • 2007 Melville Viognier Estate Verna’s - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (4/19/2009)
    One of the best Viogniers I have had, and a fine value at the price. Notes of melon and citrus, with nice minerality and acidity on the palate and a nice finish rounds out this fine wine. We have 2 more in the cellar and look forward to sharing these over the summer. (92 pts.)
  • 2007 Linne Calodo “Pale Flowers” - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (4/19/2009)
    Nice rose to hold off the 90 degree heat of the weekend. Nice bright color, crisp acid and a nice finish of fruit on the palate. (88 pts.)
  • 2005 Dutton Estate Syrah Cherry Ridge - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (4/18/2009)
    Tried this at the winery 6 months ago and the wine seemed tight and not very approachable. Decieded it was time to give one a try at home and allow it to open up over a few hours. The wine evolved from a fruit forward and tight Syrah, in to a fine drinking wine with a smooth, full finish. Should age well over the next few years into a real nice wine. (92 pts.)
  • 2006 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (4/17/2009)
    Big aromas of dark fruit and spice upon opening. There was a little heat for the first hour or so, but that soon went away and the rest of the bottle was enjoyed with a salmon dinner. Nice bottle and the wife is happy to know there a 3 more in the cellar. (91 pts.)

Mike, thanks. I think year after year after year, the Melville Verna’s Viognier is just a fantastic wine, at a great price.

I miss it, haven’t had any in about 2 years - time to pick up a few more bottles.

06 KB SC is a nice bottle and quite a bit better than the RRV IMO.

And I feel the opposite…to me, the RRV was significantly better than the SC, which, to me, was all heat.