2006 Rhys Alesia San Mateo County PN - Not Really a TN

Never had Rhys PN before until this one tonight. I think it is way too early to drink this wine if you want to realize its full potential, but it is a very intriguing drink now. I don’t understand tasting notes in which the term Burgundian is used, but I think it is fair to say this is unlike most California PN I have tried. It is relatively low in alcohol (13.8%), with an earthy, mineral character that is decidedly not over the top. The wine has dark fruit, terrific acidity, great balance, and the ability (I think) to become significantly more interesting over time. I am not having this with food tonight, but I’ll bet this would be a very versatile food wine. All in all, a promising wine in a style I very much appreciate.

It is a great PN, and definitely a value as well. For once, I’m happy that Wetrock recommended a wine to me.

A nice wine for the money and it fits in with other Cali Pinots more so than most of their other wines do to me. The estate wines are animals unto themselves.

You meant to say, you are glad you finally started listening to me.

Tasted this night before last and agree with the accolades. A terrific wine and a great value. Very enjoyable.

I would agree with you Brad. The entire lineup of wines are made in a style that rewards age. I certainly think that they can drink well upon release, with plenty of time in the decanter, but I’m excited to watch the evolution. The estate wines from the 07 vintage are going to be long-lived, IMHO.

I love this wine; can’t get enough of it. A great qpr!

Ironically, I noticed that this very evening, our own Keith Levenberg blasted this wine in CT…

The bottle I had was no 83-pointer. Judging by the fact that my wife stole my glass, left the room with it and only returned when she needed refills, my guess is she would have given it at least a 90.