TN: 2001 Delectus Napa Vly Spring Mtn Petite Sirah

I have never heard of this winery but I got a couple of these on close-out for ~ $20 each. I opened the first one a couple of years ago and was impressed.

I’ve been eying it and so decided to pop it this weekend. Tight at first, within 30 minutes it exploded. A big nose of spice, cinnamon and cloves, black fruit. Still somewhat tannic, it’s dense and full bodied with rich, rich flavors of spice, eucalyptus, smoke, ripe blackberry and black pepper. What a nose! The next night it had softened some but the aromas were even more pronounced. It ended with a 30 second aftertaste. The empty glass was a delight to smell.

[cheers.gif]

Really a delight of a wine and perfect with a rare sirloin.

From a vineyard planted in 1911 at 1800’ feet on a steep southeastern slope. Yields of 1 ton/acre.

$20? That was a steal and you did right to back up the truck.

I am a fan of Delectus – I’ve enjoyed every wine of theirs I’ve ever had. The only thing stopping me from going long is the price. They ain’t cheap - but seem to deliver.

I probably actually paid about $15! The sticker said $20 but the owner was a friend and he had gotten the wine for a song. I bought a bunch of stuff and he cut the total price.

I just googled the winery. Parker gave the 01 a 90+. The plus is important! I’m not big on points but it was one of the best wines I’ve had in the last year. If the quality is still there the $55 tariff isn’t too bad for the 2005.