TN: 2005 Arcadian Syrah Stolpman Vineyard

• 2005 Arcadian Syrah Stolpman Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (10/5/2010)
    Finesse and restraint are the key descriptors here. Has more in common with a fine pinot than your garden variety Syrah. Well-balanced, red fruit profile. Absolutely no heat. Not much in the way of pepper. Beautiful finish. Just a very enjoyable wine!

Posted from CellarTracker

Welcome back, Jan, after a busy summer at the cabin! [whistle.gif]

Stolpman is great fruit, and Joe does a really nice job with it, consistently. I also like his Starlane but not sure he makes it every vintage, and I really want to try Purisima, as I think someone said he’s made a few vintages of it. I love Purisima syrah fruit

Thanks for the note, Jan … it sounds delicious!

Todd, if you can get your hands on an ‘05 Purisima, do it.

Only one retailer online showing it being sold - $59.00/btl - think I’ll pass for now

I wouldn’t expect to find the '05 Purisima cheaper anywhere else, fyi … and I wouldn’t expect to find it on sale anywhere like we’ve seen the occasional ‘04 or ‘06 pop-up some places. Of course, one could always get lucky and find a small stash somewhere, I suppose.

The contrast between this wine and the Stolpman winery’s version is very interesting. If tasted double blind there is no way I could guess that the fruit was from the same vineyard.

I am in complete agreement with this.

ive been curious about stolpman’s own bottling lately. HAvent seen them in stores in nyc. Can you add a little about their stuff. And vis a vis the arcadian.

BTW never had a bottle of arcadian that i did NOT enjoy.

ive been curious about stolpman’s own bottling lately. HAvent seen them in stores in nyc. Can you add a little about their stuff. And vis a vis the arcadian.

BTW never had a bottle of arcadian that i did NOT enjoy.[/quote]

I haven’t had a bottle of Stolpman’s syrah in a few years, but their Syrahs tend to be full-throttle, dark fruits, lots of pepper and some heat.

I found Stolpman’s Estate Syrah, which is a level below their “Hilltops” Syrah, to be good, but not memorable. All I have written for the bouquet is “fruity, raspberry, tight.” It has beautiful dark garnet color and is medium-full bodied. The palate is full and features concentrated red berries leading into a medium finish.

B: 50, 5, 11, 15, 7 = (88 pts.)

Purple color of considerable depth. Very fruity – red fruits on the straightforward nose. Medium bodied. Tastes very much like a warm-climate syrah – concentrated red fruits, and oak. Seemed tight.

Looking at those two notes, it really does appear that I think similarly of the two wines, but tasted side-by-side the differences would be quite apparent. Joe’s version has more depth and grace and was much tighter when I tasted it than Stolpman’s version was when I tasted theirs.

Thanks all for the follow up…hard to budget when youve got to go for a case with shipping…

It’s been a while, but I liked this one a lot too…

• 2005 Arcadian Syrah Stolpman Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (9/6/2009)
    Nice Syrah…very fruit forward and accessible for a young Arcadian and in stark contrast to the '05 Purisima, but has enough Syrah meatiness to provide complexity and interest. Quite the peppery kick on the back end. More new-world than most of Joe’s wines, but definitely has the stuffing and structure to benefit from more bottle age as well. Well crafted and delicious. (92 pts.)

Beautiful bottle of wine. Thanks for all the notes.

2005 Arcadian Syrah Stolpman Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (8/9/2018)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind on Days 1 and 3; TN from Day 3 –
– 3.5 pH; 6.65 g/l –

Nose of raspberry, earthy leather, and a light background note of wet cement. Dark-fruited with an acceptable hint of brett on the palate. 14.8% alc… Fairly big, soft, and ripe. This seems ready to go, and I don’t think it will improve with further cellaring. Drink Now.

If you have any ‘07 I would highly recommend opening one.

I do, and I have. Why do you make that rec.?

This and the Purisima are in a great place.

agreed — I had an '05 Purisima about a month ago and it was excellent. :slight_smile:

The only '07 Stolpman I’ve opened had juuuuuust enough brett to scare me a little ---- my remaining bottle is on my Drink Soon list.

2005 Arcadian Syrah Stolpman Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (9/23/2018)
– cork pulled 30 min. before initial taste –
– tasted a couple pours non-blind over 1 - 2 hours –

NOSE: ripe purple/red fruit mix; high-toned and expressive.

BODY: superfine particulate matter present; medium to medium-full bodied.

TASTE: oaky; lightly aged; not tannic; a touch pruney.