TN: 05 Ridge Santa Cruz, 96 Cos du Val

My wife and I ventured out with some friends last night to a local steak house in downtown Cleveland (we ate side dishes). Not a great wine list but a few interesting wines. Served non blind, popped and poured. While neither wine was stunning, both were great dinner table wines. As for pricing, these are standard for Ohio IMO.

2005 Ridge Santa Cruz Mountains Estate
58% Cabernet Sauvignon, 42% Merlot and weighing in at 13.7% Alc.! Ruby red in color with some purple swirls to it. The nose is nice with cassis, tobacco and a bit of funk. Full bodied. On the palate, this is very Bordeaux-like. Everything in proportion. Ready to drink now, but I am sure this gains in complexity with a decade in the cellar. $85 off the list. 50+3+13+17+7=90

1996 Cols du Val Cabernet Sauvignon
$64 off the list. 13.5% Alc. ruby/purple in color. The nose has a bit of aquarium but other than that it is very nice. Earthy, cassis, funk make for a complex nose. Full bodied. On the palate, I think this wine is a bit past prime. I doubt it had perfect storage all this time, yet it is still a very nice wine. Cassis and earthy with a nice complexity. 50+4+11+17+7=89

Thanks Loren. The Ridge SCM is one of the best kept partial secrets out there.